Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Where is the pwm

• Please log in to reply

born1974

born1974

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello, I have a home-made computer i built. It contains a P4 prescott 3.0E, Abit IS7 MoBo, 1 Gig Kingston memory 3200 , Typhoon Thermaltake heatsink W/120 mm fan plus an extra 120mm fan blowing out the back.

Anyways, question is where is the PWM located at and how do i cool it off. And also i here people talk about the temp of the NB. I know where that is but my bios only gives me the NB fan speed. At idle my CPU runs around 40-42 degrees, and the PWM jumps between 40-50 degrees. When replaced the CPU heatsink i use Arcticsilver-5, and i also cleaned off the old stuff on the NB heatsink and put some on that too. But i can't tell if it cooled that off or not. And last i use the Abit E.Q. to monitor the temps. Is that acurate as opposed to the acctual bios. It seems the bios temps are about 6-7 degrees higher. 47-50 degrees for the CPU. does that seem right for Prescott overclocked to 3.45Ghz. Thank you.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

For a P4 thats overclocked to that degree, the cpu temperatures you have reported seem absolutely fine.

The temperature for the PWM is also fine. The safety limit for the PWM is 120C, although Abit recommend that you don't let it exceed 100C. Its also normal for the PWM to run slightly hotter than the CPU.

The reason for the bios temperature being higher than the temp reported in Windows by Abit EQ, is usually because Windows can take advantage of power management & keep the system cooler. Also, from what I understand, the temperature reported in the bios on your motherboard is an estimated temperature rather than a completely accurate reading.

As for where the PWM chip resides on your particular mobo, I have no idea but it's normally close to the CPU socket.