Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Blue csreen of death

• Please log in to reply

prawn1983

prawn1983

• Pip
  • 3 posts
ok this problem has been troubling me for ages now and i really dont know what to do to fix it. everytime i rip a cd using windows media player 10 i get the blue screen of death appear and the error code
0x0000009c (0x00000001, 0x8053faf0, 0x86000000, 0x000000181)

if anyone could possibly help me to sort this problem i would be extremely greatful

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
This is a very bad error.

It is hardware related and the best you can hope for usually in bad RAM, mainly it's best because it's relatively easy to fix. If you have multiple sticks of ram, remove one, try and repeat the error, If it repeats, replace the removed stick and remove another...amd so on

It could occur if you are overclocking your system.

Most frequently, it is a failing motherboard or device...in this case, the cd-rom. I would be surprised if it were the cd-rom since this is usually associated with RAM, and there is relatively little of it on the cd-rom (typically a 2mb buffer)

prawn1983

prawn1983

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thank you. i know the system is not overclocked. and the ram appears to be fine, so im guessing it could be the motherboard, is there anyway to test the motherboard before i go and buy another one?