Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Links for new windows don't open

• Please log in to reply

Cour123

Cour123

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello IT guys,

I have a problem that has happened before to me after I download certain files. My problem is that when I click a link to open, for example, an online game (pop up) it won't open. All was working before I did some downloads (Bittorrent and Java files), and after my links wouldn't open -- a message on the bottom left corner said "Errors on Page". I even used to listen to an online radio station that opened a new window for the player, but instead of opening a new window, it just transitions to a new page with the player in the top left corner. I've also tried system restore to an earlier date several times but that didn't work. Is there any way of getting my pop up windows to start working again? Thanks a lot!!!!

Much appreciated,

Will

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
the commands for the pop-up windows are based in the code of the site. have you tried any other browser to make sure it's not browser specific?

also if you have a pop-up blocker in place it will stop them from working.

if it does it on any browser such as IE, Firefox, or Opera and you don't have a pop-up blocker then the problem isn't on the computer side, it's on the server side. someone may have messed up the code with a webpage update.

Cour123

Cour123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Dragon,

Thanks a lot for you reply. I tried it on Netscape and the same thing happens. I think that it has more to do with my computer and not the server. Other websites that opened pop up windows also stopped working at the same time. Is there any way to delete my IE and reinstall it again? The problem is that I can't find the unistall link in the folder and IE isn't in "Add or Remove Programs" either. Did it somehow delete because I don't remember deleting it. I guess it may sound new to you...but the weird thing is that it happened to me before on a different computer too. I really appreciate the help!!

Best regards,

Will

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
is there a pop-up blocker installed, these can also be installed with the google searchbar and the yahoo searchbar, or any number of other searchbars.

unfortunately, MS Windows has IE configured as part of the main program, so it can't be removed. However, since the same thing happened on Netscape, I'm leaning more towards a server side issue rather then a computer related issue.

To verify this please open IE and then do the following:
click on tools and then mouse over pop-up blocker. make sure that is disabled.
next it you have any searchbars, look on them for a pop-up blocker and disable it. This is usually done on the toolbar itself.

Edited by Dragon, 09 February 2006 - 07:30 AM.