Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

new pc wont start

• Please log in to reply

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi, well im building my first pc and I think everything is connected (I am not sure as I have very little computer knowage) so I turn it on and im getting 1 longer bleep and 3 short bleeps. What can I do?

Thanks

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi DavidTehNoobie!

The beeps that you are getting normally correspond to bad memory sticks. How many memory sticks did you add to your computer?

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Actually the beep code depends on your motherboard. What is the make/model of it?

Fenor

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
its abit al8 3rd eye (which is basically AL8, not al8-v)

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
also when I listen for the noise I took out the hard drive (SATA western digital, caviar SE) into my hand and as the pc starts fans, leds ect I feel the disk spin then 5 seconds later it stops followed by a longer bleeeeeeeep, then 3 shorter bleep bleep bleep. By this time the disk has started spinning again and this process is a loop.

PS. im not sure if I hooked the sata drive up right there are some 15 pin connectors from the psu. Well hang on ill say what connections I have tried. The 15 pin alone
The 15 pin + a funny red connector which says serial ATA and connects into the mobo and the drive.
The 15 pin + funny red .... + a normal 4 pin mains connector from PSU
Well basically ive tried all combinations of these wires I hope this has not shot the drive or something

Edited by DavidTehNoobie, 08 February 2006 - 06:01 AM.

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
The ram is corsair ddr2 XMS2- Twin2x5400C4 (maybe not exact code)

Thanks

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you have more then one ram stick, try taking one of them out and testing it in each slot alone. Do the same for the other one. If you only have one stick of ram, then try it in each slot and see if you can POST.

What video card do you have? Is it onboard or in an AGP/PCIe slot?

Fenor

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Its a PCIe slot and the card is connect3d x850xt :tazz:, ive connected the pcie wire from the psu to the card as well. Im going to try 1 stick of ram... as you sergested. Thanks

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
ok, I tried the ram in different slots and its the same.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Does the motherboard on onboard video? If it does try taking out the video card.

Fenor

Advertisements

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
hmm im not sure if this means that it has onboard video it says pci-gigabit ethernet controller which says is onboard but maybe thats something else. It has lots of features but I cant see any onboard video here. Anyway
I tried to turn it on without the GPU and got the exact same result.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Onboard video is a graphics/video card that's integrated onto the motherboard.

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
no it has not got onboard video then, also i've tried plugging another monitor in but that makes no difference

Edited by DavidTehNoobie, 08 February 2006 - 08:26 AM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
One long and three shorts beeps can mean the memory or the video/graphics card is faulty or not seated correctly.

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I've just been on the corsairs website and I selected my ram and my mobo was on the list of ones that are compatable so im pretty sure it cant be that. The GPU is new 850xt, there is probally a very low number of faulty ones that are DOA and me being a newwwb lol its more likly something i've done :tazz: but the card is seated
into the slot well... What can I do