Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downloand and Update Connection Issue

• Please log in to reply

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi, I posted before about a problem and it seems that i was brushed aside or you guys are busy, so i will try again. I am posting about a different problem. I am not able to connect to things such as game updates, windows updates, Anti-Virus updates, and any program that wants to connect to the internet to update or for what ever reason...it wont work. I do not have firewalls running at the time i am trying to connect to something. If i go to microsoft site to download SP2, it doesnt let me. I cannot connect to MSN Messanger. I am only able to use IE. If there is anthing that can be done..i would really appreciate it.

OS-Windows XP Home
Firewall-Zone Alarm, Norton Internet Security
Anti-Vrius-Norton(which blows) AVG, Xoftspy, Xcleaner(not registered...cannot connect to register :) )
Antispyware-Spybot(Cant update) Trend Micro Anti Spyware, Microsoft Anti

*if you need anymore information or a hijack this log, tell me and i will post.*

thnx :tazz:

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello Lifein8one3

You've got quite a lot of protection. In fact, too much. There's probably a lot of conflicting going on. Let's sort this out.

Firewalls: No more that 1 is recommended (You have Zone Alarm and Norton Internet Security. I don't remember if Norton provides it's own firewall, but if it does, you need to turn off or get rid of one of these.)

Virus Protection: No more than 1 is recommended (You have Norton and AVG. Remove one.)

Spyware Protection: Doesn't matter, but don't have more than 1 running in the background (You have Trend Micro and Microsoft Anti. If both are running in the background, disable one.)

You said you have "Antispyware-Spybot". Are you talking about Spybot - Search & Destroy? If it is any other name, it could be an imposter posing as Spybot.

Let me know how it goes after disabling/removing the excess protection.

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Yay...someone helped me :) . Ok, well the software mentioned is software that is currently installed, not all on at once lol. And yes, Spybot S&D. Nothing is running at the current moment. I am wondering if it is a registry value error because i deleted sumtin while ago, and i dont rememeber what it was :tazz:. An example to better help you understand my issue.

EG. I go to connect to MSN messenger(1 of 43548 programs that wont connect to the internet :) ) I get the following message:

Sorry, we are unable to connect you to MSN Messenger at this time. Please try
again later.
MSN Messenger has made several failed attempts to sign you in. Your firewall
may be blocking Messenger from connecting to the service. Please review your
firewall settings.

Then i click on the troubleshoot...It opens its MSN Messenger Connection Troubleshooter. I get the following error message:
Failed to connect to the service. This could be due to improper proxy or firewall
settings. Please review your proxy and firewall settings. Proxy settings can be
accessed through MSN Messanger options.

Then i click the repair option it gives me. Gives me same message again. This was just an example of the not being able to connect to "anything."

Need anything else?

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
:tazz: ....hello?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Don't worry, I'm back. Just had a test to take. :)

1 of 43548 programs that wont connect to the internet

:tazz: That's a lot of programs!

Assuming you are not on dial-up, let's try repairing your internet connection. Please download WinsockXPfix and run it.

After restarting your computer. Try your programs again. If they don't work, restart your computer again, but start it in Safe Mode with Networking. After starting in Safe Mode, try it again.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 08 February 2006 - 09:21 AM.

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
hehe..did u pass?! :) Well, i have tried that before and it didnt work. Even tried in Safe Mode...nothing. :tazz:

LoL...hope you have some more avenues to go down

Oh yea about the prgrms...it was a figure of speech lol

Edited by Lifein8one3, 08 February 2006 - 09:43 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to repair internet explorer. This might help.

start > search > for files or folders > all files and folders. In more advanced options check all options.
Search for a file called ie.inf. The search will find few files. look for ie.inf located in c: windows/inf. Right click and choose install from the menu.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
yes I did pass. Got a 87 B. Try The Skeptic's idea, and if it doesn't work, I have another idea.

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
:) Nice job. Ok lemme try this :tazz: .....

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
oh yea i was wonderin...why do i have 2 WINDOWS folders??? One is WINDOWS other is WINDOWS.1 :tazz:

Advertisements

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
ok...it says it needs windows sp1 cd....which i dont have....????

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
2 Windows folders?? What's in the 2nd one?

Before we go any further, I wanna make sure your computer is not infected. Please follow all the directions found here. After you get to step 5, if your problem is not resolved, post a HijackThis log in the Malware forum. If your problem persists after getting a clean bill of health from a malware expert, return here and we'll continue troubleshooting.

Keep in mind, the malware forum is very busy and can take up to 5 days to receive a reply. There is a special forum called The Waiting Room if you've been waiting for 3 or more days. You can put a link to your topic & a short description of your problem and someone will get with you soon.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 08 February 2006 - 10:34 AM.

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
darn,i was tryin to avoid all possibilties of going there. I tried all those steps before and tried to tell ou guys that i cant update the software...and cant download some of it due to this problem. But I guess im s.o.o.l

Edited by Lifein8one3, 08 February 2006 - 10:38 AM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Post a HijackThis log in there then. That will be good enough for them to help you.

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:44:48 AM, on 2/8/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Unable to get Internet Explorer version!

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS.1\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS.1\System32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS.1\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS.1\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS.1\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS.1\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS.1\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS.1\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS.1\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS.1\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS.1\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS.1\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\m\Desktop\Previous Desktops\Desktop 2\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com
O2 - BHO: Norton Internet Security 2006 - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {A8F38D8D-E480-4D52-B7A2-731BB6995FDD} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O16 - DPF: {39B0684F-D7BF-4743-B050-FDC3F48F7E3B} (FilePlanet Download Control Class) - http://www.fileplane...DC_2.1.2.76.cab
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS.1\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Internet Security Password Validation (ccISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS.1\
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Local Security Authority Subsystem Service (lsass) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS.1\scvhost.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: Norton UnErase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton Protection Center Service (NSCService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
O23 - Service: Symantec AVScan (SAVScan) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS.1\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe