Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to connect two computers to one Printer

• Please log in to reply

kikoman

kikoman

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi! I hope what I am asking fits in this section of the forum. In the office I am working there is a usb port laser printer which is connected to another PC. For convenience it would be nice if I had my pc also connected to it. Both pcs are conected on the same LAN (not connected with each other) but we don't have any administartive permissions. I was wondering if there is a way we could possibly connect both pcs with the printer by means of usb connectors or anything that you might know that could possibly work.

Thank you for your help

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on the computer that the printer is attatched to..go to start > setings >printers > double click the printer...and go to the sharing tab...enable sharing and give it a shared name....then on your computer....go to start > settings > printers > add a printer...select a network printer > click the radio button next to "connect to this printer" (second radio button) and in the box put \\<computer name that the printer is on\printer's shared name.. then press next...that should find the printer and install it.....

if you do not have sufficient privelages to accomplish this...then you will have to find someone in your company who does

kikoman

kikoman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for your prompt reply!, I tried what you said. When I am enabling sharing of the printer everything looks ok.(I press apply and ok). The problem is that when i again open the sharing tab the Do Not Share this printer option is selected again automatically. I tried, in any case to find it from the other pc but nothing.

Thank you again

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there may be a setting on your network that is preventing the sharing...i suggest you contact your IT deparment