Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Struggle Finding a Decent price for new computer

• Please log in to reply

Tjvelcro

Tjvelcro

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi, I'm looking to buy a new computer (I have all the parts chosen), however I find it hard to look for good prices, or stores that will try to beat the competitors estimate. I'm wondering what kind of experience people have had buying computer parts or the whole thing from a different country (to get a better price) or just ordered online. I geuss Im worried about my PC getting shipped in one piece and shipping prices if I buy it online. I was also wondering about warrentys from online sites, how does it work? Are there any online sites that will try to beat a estimate that I have from another place? What is your stratagy for buying a new computer? What sites do you check? Buy from?

I know this sounds all broken up but these are all concerns that I have and whats slowing me down from getting my new PC.

Tjvelcro

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Buying online is the best and its cheaper if you goto the right company.

www.newegg.com is for picking out the parts yourself and putting it together yourself.

www.monarchcomputer.com you can pick the parts out seperately like above and they also have custom computers that you can configure and select which parts and items you want for your needs. They will put it all together for you and ship it to you.

http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/ is mainly for custom built computers only that you can pick what parts you want.

http://www.buyxg.com/ same as the above site but might end up alittle cheaper than cyberpower.

They dont beat estimates because no company does that. They cant sell for under how much they pay for a item. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What country are you in?

Tjvelcro

Tjvelcro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Canada.

As for online buying I would like to try it, just to see if its cheaper and for experience... however I don't really know about warrentys for my custom computer. If I bought from a local store and got 3 years labour and 1 year parts warrenty I could just bring it in if stopped working or something broke. How would I do that online? Maybe I should post the parts I want and list the prices so you guys may know if Im getting a good, ok, or bad deal.

Tjvelcro

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I know that tigerdirect ships to canada but its mainly a site for picking out your own parts then putting it together yourself.

They have very limited customizability pc's that they will put together for you... They dont have a large selection of parts for there customizable pc's is all im trying to say.

There is tigerdirect.ca

Tjvelcro

Tjvelcro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hmm, I went to TigerDirect.ca and put together my system from scratch as if I was going to build it and it turned out to be 1644 Can which isn't so good compared to my local store at 1408 Can. This is including tax and shipping. I also get 3 years labour and 1 year parts warrenty from my local store if they assemble it.

Here is what I would be getting from them.

AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800
Asus A8N-SLI
XFX Geforce 7800 GT
Corsair 3200 DDR Twin-X Dual channel 1GB
Antec Sonata II mid tower w/450 Watts PS

Any comments, questions or statements would be appritiated.

Tjvelcro

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
It depends and really varies. You have to compare apples to apples. Not the most expensive part on everything versus the local stores. The local store is not going to be all most expensive hardware I can tell you that now.

You need to find out what parts they are planning to use on the system so you can compare apples to apples for parts in the same price range.

Seems like a good deal from your local company then, just find out all the parts they are going to use and pick them out yourself from a better online store.

Tigerdirect isnt my favorite.. It just that you live in canada and dont have newegg or zipzoomfly or monarchcomputer to choose from.

It doesnt hurt to configure it yourself on a few sites before you make your final decision. I Dont live in canada so I cant help you much on finding the lowest prices.

Edited by jrm20, 08 February 2006 - 12:42 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You probably have a canadian version of pricerunner or kelkoo that should be able to help with sourcing/pricing of parts.