Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No display on new custom build :((

• Please log in to reply

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi, well im building my first pc and I think everything is connected (I am not sure as I have very little computer knowedge) so I turn it on and im getting 1 longer bleep and 3 short bleeps. What can I do?

Thanks

Edited by DavidTehNoobie, 08 February 2006 - 09:52 AM.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
First thing you can do is post in the appropriate forum. Comments and suggestions has nothing to do with your issue and you will not recieve any help here.

I have moved your thread to System Building and Upgrading.

ScHwErV :tazz:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I hope you've done your research if you have very little computer knowledge and are building your own PC. There is a lot to consider when making one. The two major considerations are compatability and heat buildup.

The beeps mean there is something wrong. Unfortunately, the beeps are unique for each brand of BIOS. Without knowing what brand your BIOS is, I cannot accurately help you. But here are the possible causes:

1 long, 3 short Memory test failure A fault has been detected in memory above 64KB
1 long, 3 short Video memory test failure The video adapter's memory has failed. Replace the video adapter
1long, 3short No video card or bad video RAM Reseat or replace the video card.
1 long, 3 short EGA/VGA adapter error
1 long, 3short Peripheral controller error One or more of the system peripheral controllers is bad. Replace the controllers and retest

All my information was taken from http://bioscentral.com/

From your discription, I think it is a video card problem. If you need any more help with this, find out who the manufacturer of your BIOS chip is and let me know.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 08 February 2006 - 10:27 AM.

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
ok thx dude

BTW what is a peripheral controler

The mobo is abit AL8 3rd eye 2 and the memory is corsairs - twinX 1024-5400C4 the GPU is connect 3d x850xt PCIe

Edited by DavidTehNoobie, 08 February 2006 - 10:31 AM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Not quite sure, but judging from the name, I'd say it is what controls all devices connected to the computer, such as mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc.

I am betting your problem is related to the video card. Try a different one, one you know works. Or try removing the one that is in it now, and putting it back in. Make sure it is in correctly and has a snug fit.

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thnx, ok I have tried to put it back in and it did not work im sure i've put it fully in. But I have 2 questions:
How easy is it to damage the gfx card due to a very faint scratch on the gold connectors?
How easy is it to mess things up with static?

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I just realised the keyboard + mouse ( which has lights:) ) and monitor dont work and you mentioned these all to be peripherial bits!! Does it means the peripherial contoller or something is not connected?

Why am I not getting lights on the mouse and keyboard?Why would the keyboard + mouse + display not work when everything else does seem to be spinning and such??

Edited by DavidTehNoobie, 08 February 2006 - 01:00 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
This is where hardware gets complicated and possibly beyond my knowledge.

Does it means the peripherial contoller or something is not connected?

If I remember correctly, the peripherial controller is a part of the motherboard and cannot be removed with conventional methods.

Why am I not getting lights on the mouse and keyboard?Why would the keyboard + mouse + display not work when everything else does seem to be spinning and such??

That could mean there's a short on the motherboard. Electricity travels straight from the power supply to the drives, but when it goes through the motherboard, there is a problem. There is no interuption of the electricity to the drives, so they work.

How easy is it to damage the gfx card due to a very faint scratch on the gold connectors?

I'm in a basic electricity class, and when it comes to wires, scratches are nothing. I'd assume that applies to the connectors for a gfx card.

How easy is it to mess things up with static?

Actually very easy. You don't even have to feel the static to mess things up. That's how sensitive computer equipment can be to stray electricity.

Here's some info about controllers: http://computing-dic...eral controller

My recommendation
Pull all cards out (video card, sound card, RAM)
Pull all cables off of the drives (ribbon or SATA cables and power cables that go to HDD and CD drives)
Remove any attached mice or keyboards.
Turn on the computer with that bare minimum of devices. Let me know if the beeps are the same or if they change.

Here's a good website that gives you troubleshooting tips: http://www.7volts.co...bleshooting.htm

Edited by computerwiz12890, 08 February 2006 - 07:04 PM.

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks a lot thats a REAL help. I feel a lot clearer about things thankyou.
I'll try doing as you say unpluging almost everything and post back.

OK, i've now tried this and it STILL! makes the same beep code and the led numbers on the mobo are still the same they are 83 for 1 second after pressing the power button then goes to 87 which it stays on. + if you look carefully I can see/hear the fans/leds shut off for a split second as the next cycle in the loop starts (but i guess thats just what this beep code does)

Edited by DavidTehNoobie, 09 February 2006 - 05:10 AM.

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Just to check that i've connected the power right. From the PSU there is a connector with losts of different coloured wires. It has 4 wires which can be clipped/unclipped to make either a 20 or 24 pin connector.
On my mobo the slot for this is 24 pins so i clipped the wires together (this connector has a clip) and put them in the slot
HOWEVER there is another power slot for 4 wires in a square shape(says 'ATXPWR2') that would fit the part of the wire that clips on/off of the main 20/24(says 'ATXPWR1') power connector.
The ATXPWR2 is situated next to the usb and other peripherial ports which is just what got me thinking maybe I have the main power connected wrong to the mobo. I would just try to put the 4 wired one into the mobo but it might fry it for all I know.

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
ok hold on, what power supply have you got? i set up the exact same mobo. You should have one 20 pin rectangular shaped one and one 4 pin square one, they both need to be plugged in, if you have a digital camera do a photoshoot of the inside and ill advise.

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
THANX man, i'll do the photo now :tazz:

The photo is just coming you say you only use a 20 pin connector? I thought you have to use 24 as the slot is 24 not 20.

BTW what GPU do u have in it seeing as there is no onboard video?

here is the photo link thanks again: http://img141.images...omputer11sz.jpg

Edited by DavidTehNoobie, 09 February 2006 - 11:44 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Could you please consult your manual(i could go get it but that would take time and you have it there with you), it will have the beep codes in it and you will be able to narrow it down to Memory or video card, it may be something completely different as well video card is usually the last check and if something is wrong before it and it hasnt been picked up it can give a fals reading, but its a place to start.

Ild also like a full list of system specs, everything please. And your photograph is very messy alot of the cables obscure things try and tidy them up(tidy cables are also imprtant for cooling) and is that IDE cable going anywhere or do you have one IDE cable on the far side of the board(should only need one if your using a SATA HD, which you might want to plug in wont fix the problem but if everything is plugged in it helps to know where everything else will go).

Something to try to make sure you arent getting a short.
1-Remove the motherboard from the case and place on a piece of cardboard
2-Install only the cpu with hsf, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, psu, video card, case switch and case speaker
3-Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
4-Repeat the above and power on
5-If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks warriorscot, btw what are standoffs the brass things that the board lies on?
here are my specs:
motherboard-AL8 3rd eye2
cpu/chipset-P43.4 945P
ram-Corsair 1GB DDR2 XMS2-5400 TwinX
Case + PSU- Antec Sonata 2 includes 450 psu
GPU-x850xt PCIe
Hard drive- WD Caviar SE 200gb SATA
Optical drive-LG GSA-4167BAL 16x DVD±RW
Floppy-Mitsumi

Thats everything i think

warriorscot

warriorscot