Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No display on new custom build :((

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
oh yeah, i got mine OC'ing like a mother

Advertisements

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
You have an x850xt also?
What have you overclocked it too?
Is it stable for whatever 24/7?

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
had it overclocked to X850XT PE settings (look them up), and yeah, my one (Asus distro of the X850XT) came with some extra cooling so it didnt fry when i Oc'd it.

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
cool, I have another question, :) My mobo has this feature that tells you all this info, well it basically moitors temps/voltages and lets you change setting on these types of issues or it adjust this stuff for you, I dont really know about it much but anyway, it says my cpu temp is 50 idle and 90 in game, now I dont really know about whats standard and things but I think these temps its showing seem very high as my system has 2 120mm fans both set to high (you can change the speed on them high, medium, low) everything is how I bought it not overclocked.
Why am I getting these readings... the mobo moniter feature was shutting the pc down before I disabled the automatic limits. But its still showing warning as before of course :tazz:
What the fork is the problem here?

Edited by DavidTehNoobie, 13 February 2006 - 01:22 PM.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
50...centigrade? if so shut the [bleep] thing down!

Thats majorly too hot if its centigrade, infact your lucky its not dead at 90, we probobly have a HSF problem.

What fan and heatsink you got on it?

Edited by comanighttrain, 14 February 2006 - 09:40 AM.

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
whoops :) I hope the cpu is not damaged.. I played cod2 for like 4 hours at 90 degrees C. :tazz: but would the pc not have shut its self down @ bios or something (i.e not shutdown by uGuru monitor) if the temps got dangerously high I hopppppee(I read p4's can still work really hot(what really hot is im not sure))
Is there anyway of telling if its damaged? Could I find out by checking speeds or something like that?

The problem is I think from when I installed the HS/F, I messsed up the pin things that go in the holes + the paste was not spead over the whole surface of the heatsink fan (only spread over 70% of surface)

So, today I resmoothed it (I know your meant to reapply new stuff, but its just for today) and my cpu temp is now a good 10 deg. C cooler. But still high I guess 43 idle 71 in game.

I got a thermaltake typhoon coming tomorrow and some arctic silver 5 so that should sort it out :)
Away with that piece of rubbish that came with the cpu :)

Edited by DavidTehNoobie, 14 February 2006 - 10:30 AM.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
thatll make a difference....have you ever had to apply heatpaste before? theres a certain nack to it, if you do it well enough you can make a [bleep] of a difference.

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
ok i'll bare that in mind, i've read how to do it, simply use the smallest amount you can that will spread over the contact area. Im quite handy with a credit card as it happens o,O OR you can put a small blob on there and let the pressure of the device do the spreading, but I'll try the first way i think. Also you dont want to get the paste on anything or it can rly mess it up or something. If thats all u got to remember there isn't really a lot to it lol

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
yeah, thats about the high and lo of it, i jus remember i used to put too much on

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would try updating your bios i think it may be an error as much as anything, 90 degrees is beyond the temperature safety cut off(it usaully about 70), are you sure youre not confused with gfx card temps those are normal for a gfx card.

Advertisements

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
no deffinatly not scot, the uGuru only monitors VGA card if its one from abit.. so im definatly not misaken. I don't know but I guess such a hot cpu temp can be reached by a badly installed HS/F + termal paste..
( I've read that you can get bad readings from these temperature sensors but they were just talking about when the sensor was not touching the core or something thus making an (lower, not higher) inacurate temp.
Is there a chance i've damaged my processor through a long period of 90degC?

Also, im not totally sure what does updating the drivers includes, i've updated the chipset chipset drivers or something, and the bios and the lan feature thing, but is there not another, main part to update? (thats all the updating I could find)

thanks

Edited by DavidTehNoobie, 14 February 2006 - 03:57 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Looks like everything is updating hang on ill get a little test you can do.

Here it is: Do this test to get a idea if the sensor is accurate or not, after the computer has been at idle for 15 minutes or so very carefully touch the base of the heat sink

40c to 49c = comfortably warm
50c to 55c = warm near hot have to pull away after 2 or 3 seconds
55c to 65c = hot need to pull away after 1 second
65c and above = burnt fingers

Report what you find back

You could also use a themometer and touch its probe to the base of the hs.

That should give you an indicator of how hot if its at 70 or above you wont be able to touch the heat sink at all.

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
You might be right warriorscot, I did the test, turned on the pc left for 20 mins idle the temp was said to be @ 43degC, i took the HS/F right off and felt underneath and it was more of a luke warm tbh, stupid mobo sensors, I have not tryed the test when gaming (I played a little cod2 yesterday because temp was down to 71, from 91, just smoothing the paste!!
With a little luck the typhoon will be here today :tazz:

SO, you say if the temp really got to 91 gaming then the PC (i don't know maybe the BIOS) would have shut it off? (nothing to do with the mobo monitoring i mean)

Edited by DavidTehNoobie, 15 February 2006 - 04:49 AM.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hey dude, yeah iv had a faulty sensor before, caused me many headaches. You can smile now however, since the thing is working, just needs a little more work and hopefully no more money:P

DavidTehNoobie

DavidTehNoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I inatalled the typhoon today, woot its fine now, 37 idle and 60* in game (a little lower than 50 and 90 then :tazz: )
I guess that maybe the sensor is 5 degC out or something also.

Im just wondering if this is important. Im getting a warning from the uGuru that the cpu woltage is wrong, I'll explain..
basically, there are different modes default, turbo, quiet.. ect when I have it on default (voltage seems lowest on this) the voltage flicks up and down, down being 1.20V/1.21V, this is when it goes warning.. The mobo has this EQ feature which fluctuates the voltages/ rpm according to temp and stuff. So as the Voltage goes down to 1.21 its warning
So, can this harm the computer?

Oh something I did not notice; the voltage numbers go down to 1.20/1.21 in normal just like they do in default except it only shows a warning when in default (the warning is shown ajaisent to the cpu volts, not cpu temps)

PS sorry to expain everything out so much but I thought you might not know exactly what I was saying.

David

Edited by DavidTehNoobie, 16 February 2006 - 04:13 AM.