Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to remove write protection on SD card

• Please log in to reply

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi,
I have a 1gb PNY SD card that I cannot write data to. I have a cheap Zonet card reader. Windows XP always says it is write protected, no matter where the lock switch on the card is. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can use this thing. The reader and card are brand new so I don't know if the reader might be bad. I'll try to borrow another card off a friend to test it tonight.
This is the second card I've tried. I thought the first one was defective, but obviously it is my computer.
Drew

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napolιon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried the card in another computer? what is the card coming out of? if it's like a digital camera...does the camera have a usb connection as well? can you access teh card that way?

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
The card is going to be used for mp3 storage for my car stereo, but is a standard SD card.
The card works in my camera, stores photos, and allows access to those photos in the cam or on my computer. But I cannot write or delete from it on the comp. I am at a loss as to why my computer thinks it is write-protected.

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
ok, I think it is the cheapo zonet reader as it refuses to allow writing to or deleting from the 256mb Sandisk card from my camera either. Guess I am getting a new reader.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
delawaredrew –[SD Card Write Protect]
9th Feb 2006

Check Properties of SD Card Drive – May be set for – [Read Only] – Uncheck if it is – Need to be logged on as the – [Administrator]

Jack123

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napolιon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'd say get a reader...also...just as a temperary fix...when you have the card in your camera...can you access the camera through " my computer" as if it were a disk drive? if so...you can just drag the mp3s over to the card while it's in the camera

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Jack 123 - where would a read only setting be? I've been all through device manager, BIOS, and every where else that seems to have any relavance but I haven't seen that option yet, or have missed it.
Thanks for replying,
Drew

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
dsenette,
I do not have the cable to connect the camera here at home, but I will retrieve it and see. I have ordered a Sandisk reader, so hopefully that will solve it. I would still love to get it working, since owning a useless reader is frustrating.
Thanks,
drew

Edited by delawaredrew, 09 February 2006 - 07:35 AM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
delawaredrew –[SD Card Write Protect]-(#2)
9th Feb 2006

Jack 123 - where would a read only setting be? I've been all through device manager, BIOS, and every where else that seems to have any relavance but I haven't seen that option yet, or have missed it.
Thanks for replying,

Here is an alternate method - [Windows Explorer] –

(1) Insert SD Memory Card into Reader SD Port
(2) Open [Windows Explorer]
(3) Expand [My Computer]
(4) Expand – The SD Drive – it should be Visible
(5) Right click the Folder – that appears associated with photos
(6) Open [Properties Folder]
(7) Click [General Tab]
(8) The Attribute Boxes - [Read Only] – [Hidden] – [Archive] should be visible

You can do as dsenette suggested -

i'd say get a reader...also...just as a temperary fix...when you have the card in your camera...can you access the camera through " my computer" as if it were a disk drive? if so...you can just drag the mp3s over to the card while it's in the camera

You can Drag & Drop – [Files] – To & From – Set up Folders – Rename – just like any other Drive – It probably a lot quicker than writing via Card Reader –

Are you sure your Reader is both – [Read & Write] – or maybe just – [Read] – Then again you may have to set some – [Preferences] – for your – [Hardware] - Zonet card reader – Search thru documentation – If you have an Installation CD – Browse the CD –

http://www.shopping....rd_Reader_Combo

This model only implies – [Card Reader] – Which is all you really need – with a Computer –

Note – (1)
Notice when you Right Click the Drive – On the – [Pop Down Menu]- there is an – [Eject] – Option –
This is what you use – When you want to remove – the SD Card – from the Reader – Just click on – [Eject] – Then remove Card from Reader -

Note – (2)
Make sure that when you insert the Card into Reader – You do so by – Carefully Aligning Card – And Then – Use a –Single Positive Insertion Force – so as not to – Bounce the connection- during the insertion process –

This will prevent the annoying – [Improperly Disconnected Drive] – Message from USB PnP - - -

One other note – Is this a Dell Notebook PC – I do not have this handy right now – but I remember helping a similar problem - & discovered Dell has problem with certain SD Manufacturer’s Card – but if it is not a Dell – I’ll not look for it –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 09 February 2006 - 06:50 PM.

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
jack - it is a zonet model ZUC2800L reader. It does just say "card reader" on it, but the description on their website says it is a combo reader/writer.
It is a dell inspiron 8500 laptop. I should be geting a new Sandisk reader in a few day so don't spend too much time thinking about the Zonet one. If the Sandisk unit also fails, I will post back.
A little googling led me to other people with similiar problems and they seemed to find that it was a problem with the reader. So hopefully the new one will solve it.
The card is going to be used in my JVC car stereo which has a card reader in it so writing to the SD card is a must.
Thanks for helping

Edited by delawaredrew, 09 February 2006 - 05:10 PM.

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Well the Sandisk reader writes to the SD card as expected. Guess the Zonet unit is just a P.O.S. Second time a Zonet product failed to function for me. No more Zonet for me.Thanks for helping
Thanks,
Drew

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
03-delawaredrew –[SD Card Write Protect]
11th Feb 2006

Thanks for posting back results – Guess I put Zonet in my – [Negative Ledger] – Sandisk is a very good choice

Hate it when the Hardware is actually bad – Arrrgghhhh -

Jack123