Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

backup

• Please log in to reply

jw010x8941

jw010x8941

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi when i try backing up my system which i haven't even done yet it says cannot complete backup? help

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
could you describe the problem a little better?
how are you trying to back up your files?
what files?
where are you backing them up to?
what is the full message you get?

jw010x8941

jw010x8941

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
i am trying to backup all information on pc which creates recovery disk and the message i get is "you have either run out of space or the file is too large for this disk? i have tried using an 80 minute cd disk and a dvd disk but neither work and it even says that if i have no disk in at all?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
so you've got a pc with the "create recovery disk" option..and you're trying to create a recovery disk....you're not running windows backup or any of that jazz right?

jw010x8941

jw010x8941

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
i go into all programs,accessories,system tools,backup?as i have no recovery disk do i really need 1 and is there an easier way of going about it?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
so you are using windows backup utility to make a full back up of your system? the disk it talks about creating is a floppy disk...as far as the recovery disk....what you're attempting to do is make a FULL backup of your system..which is probably larger than 4 gigs right?

jw010x8941

jw010x8941

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
oh right,forgive me i'm a pc dum dum,also could you give me a good free defrag download site to go to (if you have any?)1 last question when you delete things from a pc do they remain on your hardrive forever or just completely delete?sorry if thats sounds like a silly question but my friend says when you delete files they all get sent to your hard drive and you have to do sumthin else to get rid of them and that its a hard task??

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i usually just use windows defrag but some of the guys here have used speed defrag (might be speeddefrag or something like that)

when you delete a file, it usually goes to the recycle bin...when you empty the recycle bin...the computer removes the pointer from the file (basically makes the file inacessable under normal circumstances because the machine has no idea where the file is)...as you fill the drive up...that file will eventually be overwritten....there should really be no reason to have to delete something further than that on a home computer

jw010x8941

jw010x8941

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
youv been a great help many thanx