Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flash Drive No Longer Visable in XP

• Please log in to reply

ixlr8a67

ixlr8a67

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have kind of a unique problem that I cannot get past.

I have several SanDisk Cruzer 512mb flash drives that I use regularly, when I plug them into my admin system the drive is acknowledged by Hardware manager and everything says it is ready for use, but when I open up explorer, the drive is not visible. The disk management sees it but does not assign it a drive letter. When I manually assign it a drive letter, right click on the drive in the Disk Management window I can see the contents. Otherwise, it is as if the drive did not exist. The drive can be plugged into other machines with the same configuration and no problems.

The only thing I remember doing recently that messed with drive settings was installing a virtual drive-mapping program, which I have since removed. I was careful to make sure nothing that seemed important was deleted. I must have missed something.

If anyone has any ideas as to what I can try, it would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• Comp_Man_Window.png

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Had this problem the other day as a matter of fact....had to reformat the drive by right clicking in disk management and choosing format...after that, all was well.

Is there anything on this drive you need?

ixlr8a67

ixlr8a67

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
gerryf,
Thanks for the responce. Here is what I get when I try to format the drive. (see attached picture for error).

Attached Thumbnails

• Disk_Man_Window_Error.png

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmm, different issue

start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

See anything in there with big yellow !s ?

Right click, uninstall...

Also, check VIEW > SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES

Uninstall these as well

Turn off your PC

remove thumbdrive

turn on pc

insert thumbdrive

Recognized?

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Go to device manager right click on your thumbdrive open properties. Under the policies tab choose optimize for quick removal and click OK.

ixlr8a67

ixlr8a67

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
gerryf,
Device Manager does not show anything as having a error. Have previously uninstalled all usb devices and re-installed with no luck.

ixlr8a67

ixlr8a67

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
memberix,
The drive was in that setting. Changed it to performance, and drive disappeared. Now changing back.