Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Message:I am getting the same error message: "THIS FILE DOE

• Please log in to reply

Pymeohmy

Pymeohmy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hello,

I am having the same problem as someone else named Nicdez in this forum however he found a solution,
shared it with us but it didn't work for me.
My problem started after I installed Norton Internet Security 2006 to replace an older version. Suddenly all my icons were transformed to sheets of paper...all of them except for AOL..that icon is still there and I am able to get online...otherwise I can't open any other file...I am getting the same error message: "THIS FILE DOES NOT HAVE A PROGRAM ASSOCIATED WITH IT FOR
PERFORMING THIS ACTION. CREATE AN ASSOCIATION IN THE FOLDER OPTIONS CONTROL PANEL."

If I right click on any icon there is not an option to OPEN it. The only options are COPY, PASTE..etc.
I clicked on the link from from Compaq which Nicdez provided but nothing happened. It did seem to download so I put the link on
my desktop and click on it from time to time...still nothing happens. It seems that I have nothing that my computer can find to open the file with.

I am a computer illiterate so there could be a step that I am missing.
I would appreciate any help you could give me.

(note) I emailed Compaq a couple of days ago and still waiting for a reply
Thank you.

Pyme

Edited by Pymeohmy, 08 February 2006 - 02:02 PM.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
See if THISarticle helps you out. :tazz:

Pymeohmy

Pymeohmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
[b]Thank you for your response Coachwife. Unfortunately I cannot get into the Help and Support program on my computer.

I am really stuck. I have no idea what happened and worse yet...what to do about it.
As I said in my post another person on this forum had the same problem and he contacted Compaq...Compaq sent him a link....he clicked on it and it cleared up his problem.

He shared that same link with the forum...however when I clicked on it nothing happened.
I emailed compaq but so far no word from them.

thanks for you help
Pyme

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

System File Check will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

Pymeohmy

Pymeohmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
[b]thank you keith for your help.

I did try typing in sfc/scannow with my windows xp cd in the computer. I got an error message that it was an invalid file. The blue bar never appeared.

Then suddenly a huge blue box popped up that said: Welcome to Microsoft windows XP with some options below it: It said......."What do you want to do"

Install windows xp
Install optional windows components
perform additional tasks
check system compatibilty

I really wasn't sure what to do or if I should do anything at all. I didn't think I should install xp since it's already installed...the only other option I thought I might look at was perform additional tasks.

I am completely illiterate when it comes to computers and I really do appreciate your help.

Pyme

Edited by Pymeohmy, 08 February 2006 - 05:57 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Specifically sfc space /scannow

sfc /scannow

Pymeohmy

Pymeohmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I typed it without a space first...then looked at it a bit more closely and tried it with the space..it doesn't work either way.

Do you remember trying to help out a memeber named Nicdez? He said that he got a link from compaq and it cleared up his problem....I can't figure out why it won't work for me as well.

I clicked on the link he provided and nothing happened. Was I missing a step somewhere? When you click on a link like that are you suppose to do something else as well?

I am so so lost on this.

I thank you for your help Keith.
Pyme

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get it here

Double click it then it will ask if you want to add it to the registry, click yes then reboot

Can you let me know when you have this, as it will be better to remove the link from here as it only applies to specific errors

Pymeohmy

Pymeohmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have it Keith..thank you...it didn't ask me if I wanted to add it to the registry though. It just asked if I wanted to save it. I will reboot and see what happens...

thank you
Pyme

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Once you save it, note where to, then find it and double click it

Advertisements

Pymeohmy

Pymeohmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
well I downloaded it...and didn't not where to find it...(remember i don't know a thing about computers)..but I did email the link to myself just in case I lost it.

I will try again because after i downloaded it and rebooted nothing happened.

I edited this post just to update you....I found the file and tried to open it or run it and I got the same error message..."this file does not have a program associated......

talk about frustrating

Edited by Pymeohmy, 08 February 2006 - 09:59 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have an XP CD or a recovery CD or a recovery partition

Pymeohmy

Pymeohmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I do have an xp cd but no recovery cd's....I do have restore cd's ...not sure if that is the same as recovery.
I was afraid to use the restore cd's because I was told I would lose all of my current work on my computer and that it would wipe out everything.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
With an XP CD you can do this

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

This leaves data and settings alone, also any installed programmes, however, you will need to re-install all windows updates, this is probably the quickest solution for this

Pymeohmy

Pymeohmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok Keith..I will try this now...

I have a couple of questions.
Do I click on the link first....then get offline and try to find it somewhere...? Or do I do this while online.
This is where I get confused...I don't know the proper steps i.e. when to put the xp cd in...where to find the link when offline....

I'm sorry for being so ignorant