Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Userinit.exe conflict

• Please log in to reply

Crystalarts

Crystalarts

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi people,

I have had a lot of trouble with XP lately. Stupid Funner virus, so I used antivir and it deleted explorer.exe, userinit32.exe, lsass.exe etc.

Anyway, I then couldnt log in at all, it just logged back out, so i took my harddisk out, and attached it to another pc. I copied over new files from the working machine into the damaged one. I copied LSASS.exe, Userinit.exe Rundll32.exe and Explorer.exe.

Still the same problem, until I realised I had to change the registry to actually run userinit, then It started working to an extent. It would log me in, so I know the processes are all correct, but it would immediately give me an error message saying windows error, send error report or dont send error report. Once I get rid of the message, I am still on my desktop, with no windows bar at the bottom and nothing on my desktop. Task manager works, and I can run files by adding a task, but that doesnt help much.

Is this a registry issue, or is it an issue with the files I copied over from my Work computer. Work PC is XP Pro, home pc(with the probs) is XP Home SP2.

If it is a pro vs home SP2 issue, is there anyone with XP HOME SP2 that has the files i mentioned above that could send them to me...?

Advertisements

Crystalarts

Crystalarts

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
PUT SIMPLER... when you install Service Pack 2, does it use different exe files that XP home without Service Pack 2. IE does it replace userinit.exe, rundll32.exe and explorer.exe????