Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cyclic redundancy check error

• Please log in to reply

Pinch34

Pinch34

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I created a number of data dvd's using Roxio Dvd Creator which contained all of my digital pictures, documents and music. I then reinstalled windows xp onto my computer and started tranfering all of the old data. Everything copied great except for the most important things, my pictures. The first 10 subfolders copied fine, as did the last 30 or so photo's in the main folder. The problem is a number of sub folders in the middle show the file name and folder name but the file shows as 0 bytes. When i try to copy them I get a cyclic redundancy check error.
Ive searched the forums and someone mentioned that data can be recovered if it is not audio!

Can anyone please help me recover my photos??

Thanks

David

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that depends

When we typically speak of recovering data, we usually mean getting data back that was previously deleted--since Windows does not actually delete files, but deletes addresses to where files are located (gross simplification), you can recover deleted files

These files you're referring to were actually never correctly saved to the disk, and the liklihood of recovery is far lower.

That said, there are a few programs that may help you out

http://www.softwarep...d-recovery.html

Try the above first....if possible, install on a different machine and try recovering the dvd files from there. Then move them over.

In the meantime, do not use the newly installed machine as this decreases the liklihood of recovering anything from the current drive

(btw--did you format, repair, or delete the partition on this PC)

Pinch34

Pinch34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Fortunately I have been able to recover all of my photo's.

What I think happened, and please feel free to let me know if I am no where close to being correct, is that when I tried copying the files from the dvd the computer was only reading part of the dvd, (almost as if it thought that the dvd was a cd), thus the rest of the data beyond 700mb was unreadable/unusable. I used a program called IsoBuster then copied the files to their correct location and all is well.

I am guessing that I was just using the wrong program? I needed a dvd data 'viewer'? (for lack of a better understanding)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
dunno...what'd you use to copy to the dvd?

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
CDRoller is the best program for recovering files from CD/DVD

Pinch34

Pinch34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I used Roxio Classic Creator to make the dvd. Not sure what version though.