Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't open my mail [resolved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

artoo1965

artoo1965

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi Guys,

Desperately need your help here. :tazz: I'm running Windows ME on Pentium III (That's all I can afford right now) connecting to the net using ADSL Broadband on IE6 and Firefox. I've problems opening my yahoo mail. Sometimes couldn't even open the web page. I've done all the steps as suggested i.e. run WinSock Fix utility, malware scan using Ad-aware SE, virus scan using AVG except Windows Update. Whenever I tried to update Windows, I only got to the "Windows Update is looking for available updates.... 100% complete" stages. When I clicked on "Review and Install Updates" I got 'The page cannot be displayed" message. Don't know what else to do. Attached is my Hijack This log file. Thanks for your help.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 4:29:21 PM, on 2/18/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\LEXMARK 4200 SERIES\LXBMBMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIDSERV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\LEXMARK 4200 SERIES\LXBMBMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GENIUS NETSCROLL+ SERIES\GNETMOUS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGEMC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN2\YCOMP5_5_7_0.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN2\YCOMP5_5_7_0.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Hidserv] Hidserv.exe run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark 4200 Series] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 4200 Series\lxbmbmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LexStart] lexstart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FaxCenterServer4_in_1] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 4200 Series\Fax\fm3032.exe" /s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mouseElf] C:\PROGRA~1\GENIUS~1\GNETMOUS.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Startup: Corel Colleagues & Contacts Reminders.LNK = C:\Program Files\Corel\Print Office\cffrem.exe
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/...ro.cab34246.cab
O16 - DPF: {D77EF652-9A6B-40C8-A4B9-1C0697C6CF41} (TikGames Online Control) - http://zone.msn.com/...fault/shapo.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://zone.msn.com/...aploader_v6.cab

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Is your windows valid? Internet Explorer is out of date. Did you try to update that? That could solve some of your problems. I'm reviewing your log right now and will get back to you shortly. :tazz:

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Your log looks fine. Try updating IE and let me know if that fixes your problem.

artoo1965

artoo1965

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi ccoachwife6,
Thanks for your response. I'm using a valid Windows ME supplied by Gateway with the PC. Tried to install critical updates and service packs from Microsoft unsucsessfully. When I clicked on "Review and Install Updates" I got "The page cannot be displayed" message. Have also downloaded IE6SP1 patch from www.download.com but when I ran the setup I got this message instead,
"Setup was unable to download information about available installation sites"
"Setup may have been unable to use your current proxy server settings. Click advance if you know your proxy settings". What should I do next? I don't know my server proxy setting. I connected directly to the net using ADSL Modem and I'm not on LAN. Thanks again.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Download the free VX2 Cleaner here
Close Ad-Aware SE build 1.05 and Ad-Watch (if running)
Install the VX2 Cleaner
Start Ad-Aware SE build 1.05
Go to “Plug-ins”
Select the VX2 Cleaner plug-in and click “Run Plugin”
If your computer isn't infected, click "close"
If your computer is infected:[list]
Select “Clean System”
Reboot your computer
Scan your computer with Ad-Aware
Remove any VX2 objects detected
Reboot your computer again
Run a second scan to make sure the files have been removed from your computer

If you would please, rescan with HijackThis and post a fresh log in this same topic, and let us know how your system's working. :tazz:

artoo1965

artoo1965

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I've downloaded and ran the VX2 cleaner, but it shows that the system is clean. Nevertheless I ran the Ad-Aware and removed 8 bugs. Then reboot and scan again, and it find no more bugs. Tried to udpate Windows from Microsoft Site.... same outcome... no good. Tried to update IE6SP1 also return the same message. Managed to open my yahoo mail box in Firefox and read Geekstogo! mail and then the browser just freeze when I clicked for next message/folder option. Is there something wrong in my browser setting? I've tried both enabled and disabled "Use HTTP1.1 through proxy connections". Same results. I've also enabled SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0 in the Internet Option of IE. Using Firefox also of no help. Attached is the fresh Hijack This Log that I scan right after running Ad-Aware and reboot.
Thank you for your patient.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 4:02:20 PM, on 2/19/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIDSERV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\LEXMARK 4200 SERIES\LXBMBMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\LEXMARK 4200 SERIES\LXBMBMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GENIUS NETSCROLL+ SERIES\GNETMOUS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGEMC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE

O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN2\YCOMP5_5_7_0.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN2\YCOMP5_5_7_0.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Hidserv] Hidserv.exe run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark 4200 Series] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 4200 Series\lxbmbmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LexStart] lexstart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FaxCenterServer4_in_1] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 4200 Series\Fax\fm3032.exe" /s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mouseElf] C:\PROGRA~1\GENIUS~1\GNETMOUS.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Startup: Corel Colleagues & Contacts Reminders.LNK = C:\Program Files\Corel\Print Office\cffrem.exe
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/...ro.cab34246.cab
O16 - DPF: {D77EF652-9A6B-40C8-A4B9-1C0697C6CF41} (TikGames Online Control) - http://zone.msn.com/...fault/shapo.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://zone.msn.com/...aploader_v6.cab

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Your original problem was that you couldn't open your yahoo mail account. Have you tried installing and uninstalling it?

I don't use yahoo so I don'tknow how they go about setting it up.

You might try that.

I would also recommend running a free virus scan from panda; a free trojan scan from tds-3 diamond or moosoft (don't think you have either, but you never know).

Then,sometimes I use a program called ccleaner that you can download from major geeks.com . It gets rid of a lot of remnants.

You're doing great and learning more about your computer. Hang in there. Sometimes these things are fixed by trial and error. :tazz:

artoo1965

artoo1965

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
yahoo mail is internet mail so I can't re-install that. I've tried many things since your last reply, spybot, registry mechanix, iefix but still can't open my email. Tried to check with micro$oft for the issue but can't even open www.microsoft.com (using IE of course!). I'm losing my patience over this issue and thinking of upgrading to XP but I read somewhere in your forum that ME doesn't like to be upgraded. Hence, I probably have to start on a clean slate (and I prefer to do so too) but I don't want to loose my documents and photos. I don't have a CD writer and my thumb drive is only 128MB. Is there any way that a can save my files (documents, photos, etc) prior to formatting my C drive? Is it possible to partition my hardrive and transfer all those into D? For your info my harddisk capacity is 19 GB and there is about 9 GB of free space. If that is possible I would appreciate if you could tell me how to go about doing it. Thanks for your help so far and your patience (I don't have as much) :tazz:

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Hang in there. I'm asking our top guys to take a look at your post. Wait till one of the moderators gets back with you. :tazz:

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Best Techie looked at your log. This is what he suggested:

1. The HJT log looks ok.
2. Might want to post step by step directions how to clear temp internet files, cookies, etc. (see previous instructions higher up in the topic)
3. Find out if he can view Yahoo Mail in any browser. Does it come up in Firefox but not IE or does it not show up in any browser?
4. Maybe power cycle the DSL modem. Unplug it for 30 secs and then plug it back in. <-- I doubt that will do anything, but it can't hurt.
5. Might want to see if anything is blocking him from loading Yahoo Mail. Maybe the hosts file? Is he running any kind of filters? If so, maybe the filters are filtering it by mistake?

There could be many things. We should find out the answers to those questions.

Advertisements

artoo1965

artoo1965

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi there again. ;)

Further to Best Techie suggestion.

2. I've run CCleaner, guess that take care of the temp internet files, cookies, etc. ?

3. The Yahoo Mail doesn't show either IE or Firefox.

5. I'm more incline to believe that something is blocking my browser from loading yahoo mail but I don't know what. Whenever I clicked on "Check Mail" on Yahoo page, the browser looks like its loading the page and the blue progress bar at the bottom of the page goes about half way and then it got stuck there. Then it will be either "The document contains no data" (Firefox) or "The page cannot be displayed.... The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties or you may need to adjust your browser settings" (IE). Could there be a filter of somekind that is doing this?

Thanks again guys... :tazz:

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
do you have a firewall?

artoo1965

artoo1965

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Not that I know of. Never installed one. Unless it's been unintentional or installed by the previous owner on this PC. How do I check if I have one.
Thanks again.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
You don't have a firewall. I just looked at your log. But I think if you can update internet explorer, it may solve your problem.

artoo1965

artoo1965

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
:tazz: No can't do.... Everytime I try to download the IE6SP1 I gor the message that I can't connect to the download site. Seems that I can't access microsoft website or download anything from it. I'm using a legit microsoft software... Is there anyway or anywhere that I can get IE6SP1 besides having to go thru microsoft? I'm very eager to get my hand on it to see whether it will solve my problem. Thank you coachwife6, you've been a great help so far.