Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spiky Hair

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
How do some of you people make your hair spiky I've tried many times but have failed :tazz: please teach me how. I keep asking my friend but he doesn't tell me.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you take some gel(i prefer wax) rub it in, then point it up and twist it a bit. Knew a guy that had very long hair and he ised candle wax to hold it up.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I tried that but it doesn't hold, it just drops back down.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You need stronger gell then or shorter hair, i would be very surprised if you cant wax it up(i prefer hair wax, not that i use it much anymore, its better for your hair as well) if its that long like i said i knew a guy that used candle wax, looked cool in a kind og grotty grunge way.

It sounds like you are just using really weak gel thats meant for holding hair in place not really styling it. Just go get stronger stuff, mind you are you sure you want to even i the kind of person that has no time for fashion unless its practical knows spikey hair is out(it was in when i started HS, ah how long HS seems now)

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
well I tried many hair styles and I seem to like spiky for some reason, plus I don't think my hair is that long.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
it's pretty short but long enough for a spiky style, if you guys know or use a gell that is super super strong please give me a name or something, thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
really strong gell works...the old school punks used to use egg whites for the giant mohawks..i know it sound's gross...but it works very well...had 7 to 8 inch spikes on my head for a school dance....egg whites and hairspray...that's it

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Use the bed head gel. Then really strong hair spray and blow dry it right after hair is sprayed and form into shape that you want while drying. That will hold it even in a West Texas dust storm.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
*imagine's val with big giant spiky texas hair

AWESOME!!!

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
The higher the hairdo -- the closer to God. (got that off of a greeting card) :tazz:

Actually, my boys started using my hairdresser and they couldn't figure out how to get that little lift in the front. She used the gel, put on the hairspray and used the blow dryer. At 13 and 15, they know more about hairstyling than I do now. :)

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
HEHEHE, its weird how guys are getting more into that stuff, myself i cant be bothered anymore im lucky if i even take a comb to my hair most days, and the i only shave cause my beard is the wrong colour to my hair(its a very bright red really isnt great).

I would just use wax instead, when i used to style my hair in the youthul days of adolescant vanity i used wax because my hair is very strong so it takes a bit to shape it properly, at least it used to back in the day at the moment paranoid about baldness so im leaving it alone.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
My husband loves the movie "Brother, Where Art Thou?" George Clooney swore by "Dapper Dan" hair wax.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I always prefered hair wax to gel, Fudge stuff is good, i used to go to a decent(expensive) barbers and they used that and i liked it. Mind you its like 40 quid for a little tub so it better be good.

Hair wax i think gives better hold and it lasts longer and is better for your hair, but its harder to use than gel you have to work it in properly(which is probably why it holds better)

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Right now I use L'OREAL Party Proof Extreme Gel, and it really doesn't hold that good but I will try the blow drying trick

Cats

Cats

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Lol verrrrrry good question. At any age this seems to be a hot secret for the boys. Do I know? No, and I've been into the spikes (not any old spikes, particular ones lol) since I saw them on stuttering gareth on pop idol. Since then, the hosts "ant and dec" down to pop stars like ricky martin, and the popular one from "blue" as well as up and coming execs and power business folks are using this hairstyle. Seems to me right now there are only two power cuts for the go get'em enterpreneurs out there- the shaved head (only for the good looking), and this spiked variety.

I would advise against the look unless you can find a way that works that doesn't involve swamping your scalp in chemicals. It WILL cause your hair to thin and the hairline to receed right back (just check out ant and dec after only 2-4 years usage industrial strength&amounts of product).

My mate's girlfriend told him to use baby oil as a bulker agent, and then to use hairspray on top sparingly to style. This way seems to involve the least amount of harmful chemicals, but you will need fairly short hair I think.

I've forgotten what I used to do in my teens (well before pop idol), but I think it involved a hairdryer and any brand name gel. Maybe that's what I'm missing now... I just use hairspray now but without the hairdryer.
There was a gel made entirely from natural products but it's about 5 times the price and stinks- I wouldn't recommend it, it also wasn't much stronger than the brands. I think a good quality hairspray ie one from a hair salon would be less toxic, and use the hairdryer too. At one point I went mad and used BOTH gel and spray, that is what killed my hair growth and it's now about an inch and a half receeded at the forehead. You won't notice it straight off, it's gradual over a couple of years.
I would advise you don't combine and you buy the best, and use one that doesn't require large quantities.It's possible a combo could be ok for you I suppose, but that's my experience.

I did try wax once or twice, it didn't help more, but then I tried one or two brand names so it's possible that there might be one that works, but I'm highly skeptical. :tazz:

Edited by Cats, 02 March 2006 - 06:52 AM.