Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Network gone wrong

• Please log in to reply

ratlos

ratlos

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hellooooo
My home network is spiralling downwards - fast:
I have a Win 2K Pro desktop and a Win XP Pro laptop. First of all I set up a simple LAN by connecting the 2 computers via a twisted network cable. After a bit of Googling and trial and error I got it to work and could share files, printers and Internet access. (Speeddial Modem DSL) I now wish I had left it like that, but NO! - I had to have a wireless network.
I got a Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless ADSL Router and a Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless USB Adapter. Connected the desktop to the router via network cable. Could access Internet - all quite easy. Then I installed the USB adapter into the laptop but it could not find the network - scan did not detect the NETGEAR network. Then I borrowed a 108 MBPs Wireless PC card and installed that into the laptop. Everthing worked. Had file share, Internet access etc.
Things started going wrong when I then tried to install a Belkin Bluetooth USB adapter on my laptop. During the installation several shortcut icons changed and all the Microsoft Office icons changed to the white square with the blue frame. It appeared that somehow some .ico files went missing. So I decided I could live without the bluetooth device - I only wanted to back up my contact list from my mobile phone - and uninstalled it. Icons didn't reappear. So I did a System Restore and that set everything back to working order. Everything worked for 2 days. Then, when I booted up the computer, the PC card could not find the network. Tried the Netgear USB adapter - same story. Also, the same icons had disappeared/changed again. Tried system restore to a number of restore points, but it came back with "Sytem Restore could not restore" Also the computer was painfully slow all of a sudden. So I Googled for days and hours and finally found your website. Tried the Repair procedure as you describe in the Win XP thread. That only made things worse. So, I moved the laptop back near the desktop again and connected them via the twisted network cable. And it comes up with an IP address conflict.
IP address on desktop:
Ethernet adapter LAN 169.254.171.181
subnet mask 255.255.0.0

IP address on laptop:
subnet mask 255.255.0.0

When I try to repair the connection I comes up with:
The following steps of the repair operation failed: renewing IP address

Can you help? Please??????

Advertisements

ratlos

ratlos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
NEWS UPDATE....

OK, I made some headway: The 2 computers can see each other and share files, printers and internet connection. Don't know what solved it - I just kept on going over all the settings again and again, disabled and then re-enabled Internet Sharing on the W2K desktop and all of a sudden the laptop could get onto the net. But I am determined not to mess things up again by trying to set up the wireless network on my own - I shall wait - ever so patiently - for your guidance......

IP address on laptop:
LAN

IP address on desktop
LAN

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Wow, sounds like you've been having some fun with networking ;) Anyways it's good to hear that you have it working now. For future reference:

If your computer ever obtains an IP address of 169.254.xxx.yyy then you will not be able to access anything. That IP range is called "Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA)". When your computer sends out a request for an IP address from the router or another computer and it cannot receive then Windows will assign you an address beginning with 169.254.

As for your wireless network setup, I need to know what sort of USB adapter you are talking about, I'm not sure I'm clear on what it is you are trying to use. Also, you say when you borrowed a wireless network card for the laptop, that works fine?

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

ratlos

ratlos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your reply. I had some more fun and games since my last post, in which I lied: I did not wait patiently for guidance.... Anyway, at the moment I am back to having 2 computers wired into the router and it seems to work. But I really want to get the wireless setup working, cause it's driving me mad having my brother in my office, doing "some research on the net" :tazz:

Here is a list of hardware:

Router: Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless ADSL Router DG834T
PC Card: Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless PC Card WG511T
USB adapter: Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter WG111T

After my last post I managed to get both wireless adapters working whilst all 3 machines were in the same room. The 3 machines are:
Desktop Win 2000 - wired into router
Laptop Win XP - USB adapter
Very old laptop Win 98 - PC card

Then I carried the XP laptop to the spare bedroom for my brother to use. I did not switch it off, just closed the lid which puts it into Hibernate.
This room is directly below my office.
There was no signal at all. So I changed the channel on the Router Setup. Since then I have spent one entire night trying to get the wireless setup working again - no joy. The adapters are scanning but cannot find the router. Even though all machines are back in the same room.
I have read most threads on this board that might address this problem and also on a NETGEAR forum, but even though I tried all suggestions that might possibly help, nothing seems to cure it.
By the way, the trick that did it last time (before it all went haywire again) was that I changed the LAN IP Set up on the Router:
Default setting was RIP Direction: None
I changed it to RIP Direction: Both
Even though I don't understand why this should have made any difference, I thought RIP Direction has something to do with Routers exchanging information and I only have the one......
Any Ideas????? Please????

ratlos

ratlos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Latest Updates:
Spent a lot of time reading other people's posts on all sorts of forums and did not find a solution to my problem. Finally phoned Netgear Support today and waited until they actually anwsered the phone, which takes a while, but still.... The very nice chap took me through the set up and hard reset of the router and finally came to the conclusion that the "the wireless part of my router has died, somehow". Now all I need to do is to persuade the vendor to give me a replacement.
Hey ho.
But I learnt a lot.