Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant remove these from Taskbar

• Please log in to reply

hawthorn

hawthorn

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hi folks.

Ive just last week reformatted the laptop and everyting is good! Except that I have the following annoyances, which I had before reformatting also, so its nothing to do with that.

These appear in the taskbar, and I dont know how to remove them. I went to Taskbar properties and selected "Always Hide", though that wouldnt actually remove them but at least they wouldnt be annoying me evertime I boot up. Nos. 1,2 and 3 stayed hidden for about 3 days but are back tonight! No 4 which is in icon for a PCLine mouse I installed (iWare setting) wont hide for more than 1 day and usually just for a short while.

My questions; Why wont they stay hidden?
Could I safely remove them?
How would I do that?

Also just wondering what are the 2 internet related ones (1 and 2) ?

Here are the messages i get when I hold the mouse over them.

1 Wireless Network Connection is not connected. Wireless network unavailable.

2 Local Area connection. A network cable is unplugged.

3 Windows Messenger not signed in.

4 Quicktime

Thanks folks

K

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
left click the taskbar in the righthand corner>select properties>click hide inactive icons>then click customize and then chose what you want there.

hope this helps

hawthorn

hawthorn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
I already did that, but as i say, some of them came back after a few days, and the iWare mouse icon wouldnt hide for more than a short time.

K

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Hi folks.
1 Wireless Network Connection is not connected. Wireless network unavailable.

2 Local Area connection. A network cable is unplugged.

3 Windows Messenger not signed in.

4 Quicktime

1. Right click MY NETWORK PLACES, choose PROPERTIES, choose the wireless connection, choose PROPERIES, and uncheck the two boxes on the bottom

2. Right click MY NETWORK PLACES, choose PROPERTIES, choose the local area connection, choose PROPERIES, and uncheck the two boxes on the bottom

3. Some will suggest uninstalling Windows Messenger, which is not exactly simple, but I suggest this...right click the icon, choose EXIT, then go to MY COMPUTER, choose LOCAL C DRIVE, choose PROGRAM FILES > Right click MESSENGER, rename it Oldmessenger. Reboot. The reason I do not suggest you uninstall it is that some day, you may need to have someone help you with a problem and MS built in remote assistant program uses Messenger. If you need it, you can simply rename it Messenger and reboot and it will be back

4. Load Quicktime through Start > all Programs, go to EDIT > Preferences > quicktime preferences > advanced, and uncheck INSTALL QUICKTIM E ICON IN SYSTEM TRAY