Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Why to turn off system restore on all drivers?

• Please log in to reply

redwave250443

redwave250443

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
In many topics regarding Anti-virus for protecting Windows XP, the system restore function for all drivers is advised to turn off, I wish to know why it need to set like this???

Thanks.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi redwave250443!

People are advised to turn off system restore when cleaning up an infected PC because malware (spyware, viruses, etc...) hide themselves in the restore files of a computer and therefore are not removed during the cleaning process and can therefore re-emerge later on and cause havoc once again. What I usually do is after a computer is cleaned up, I disable System Restore on all driver, which deletes any saved Restore Points, and then turn it back on. Therefore the only restore points created are clean of malware.

Hope that answers your question. :tazz:

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 08 February 2006 - 09:12 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you turn it off because System restore will archive infected settings/files. The idea is to turn it off, thus clearing the restore points, clear the infection, then turning it back on and creating new, clean restore points

redwave250443

redwave250443

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I full understand what you described exactly!Thanks for your quick response.

Additionally, I have a question that not resolved till now. Please help me see to find a way. See the following information.

A laptop with Windows XP SP2, when adding this computer into domain,a error message appeared that show a domain contrller for the domain ap could not be contacted.... the exact information is below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
'A domain controller for the domain ap could not be contacted.

Ensure that the domain name is typed correctly.

If the name is correct, click Details for broubleshouting information.'
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See the attachment for more information.

In this computer, I can ping the DNS server and Domain server successfully in the domain. Also, it can get a correct IP address through DHCP server. Accessing internet and intranet is also normal.

Please provide a solution for this issue. Thanks.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is the machine in active directory after joining the domain?

redwave250443

redwave250443

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
The machine has been added in computer OU in Directory.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
was the computer added to the OU before you tried to join the domain from the computer?

redwave250443

redwave250443

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
This job has been done before joining the computer into domain.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
so you created the computer in active directory... (in a specific OU) THEN when to the computer to join the domain?...that could be your problem.....on the workstation...change the machine name and join the domain FROM the machine....THEN move the computer in AD to the OU you would like it to be in....

redwave250443

redwave250443

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Dsenette, I tried as your guide, but the issue still exist.... I am confused....Could you give me further way, thanks.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
A little fuzzy here on what your saying...

you have permission to join/add a machine to the domain?

You're saying the machien was already added to the domain before the machien was joined to the domain?

How did this occur? Did you have to reinstall the machine after a failure, and you are trying to rejoin it?

I wonder if you are having a SID mismatch

redwave250443

redwave250443

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Qerryf, I have permission to add a computer into domain(OU).Also, I have permission to join a machine client into domain.

In fact, the machine has been joined into domain previous and it also could access all domain resrouce like printer and so on. However, the laptop lose contact with domain when the holder came back after a few days business travel. All AD resource could not be accessed. So I moved the machine from domain, and then re-added the machine into domain. But the result is that what I posted up.

I am sure both machine name in local machine and computer name in domain match.

Thanks