Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How To Reformat Windows NT and Put Windows ME on

• Please log in to reply

tiffin

tiffin

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
ok im getting very very aggrevated i just got this new computer (well newer to me but not actually new) and it worked perfectly fine the first day no problems. The computer had windows 2000 NT already installed into it so the second day comes around and all of a sudden it says my ip address is being blocked and the computer was really slow and it would not let me send out messages on out look express. so i used probably 10 different antivirus / spy ware programs and killed a bunch of stuf but w32.randex.gen is the one that is blocking my ip address and nothing will kill it. meanwhile i cant do anything on my new computer which i was computerless for over a month just before i got this. problems problems problems so i figured maybe reformat start totally fresh since it wasnt fresh to begin with and i have windows me disk and start up floppy but i dont know how to reformat and i dont know if that will even fix the problem. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME FIX THIS. thx alot

Edited by tiffin, 09 February 2006 - 12:56 PM.

Advertisements

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
u might wana post this in the Malware Forums. They specialize in removal of malware. Aslo, did you try the steps to remove virus/spyware/etc...?

Edited by Lifein8one3, 09 February 2006 - 12:47 AM.

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
yes i did all that and nothing i heard that reformatting will do the trick... but i dont know how to reformat :S

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
*In not a helper at this site...but i am fairly good with comps. You dont have to take MY advice, you can wait for a G2G Trusted Helper if you like

Go to START/Settings then Control Panel and double click Add/Remove Programs, then select the Startup Disk tab. Put a floppy in your floppy drive and click Create Disk. A boot disk will be made for you. This will take three to five minutes.

With the boot disk in the floppy drive, restart the machine. You will be presented with four options:

* Help
* Start with CD-ROM support
* Start without CD-ROM support
* Minimal Boot

Choose "Start with CD-ROM support" and wait for the machine to go through the start-up process. Once the A: prompt appears type: "a:format c:" and hit enter. (Note to veterans: the /s command is no longer necessary and is not supported under Windows Me).

The system will reformat the drive and then display the amount of free space. It will also prompt you to enter a volume label, which is the name of the hard disk. Enter anything you like or simply hit the return or enter key for none.

If you drive has been sub-divided with partition software, then repeat the format procedure on the second partition. For example if the D drive is a hard drive partition then run the command "format d:". On most systems the hard drive will be "C" and the CD-ROM drive will be "D". If there's a partition, the CD-ROM drive will likely be "E".

Now your hard drive is ready for a new copy of Windows ME. Put the Windows Me install CD in the CD-ROM drive and type "x:setup" where X is the CD-ROM's drive letter. It is probably "D".

Windows Me will then run the Scandisk utility on your hard drive to check for errors. Once done, click "exit" and let the rest of the install proceed. Keep your "Product Key" handy (that's the massive code on the back of the CD sleeve) as you'll have to input that before the installation proceeds. Upgrade copies of the Windows Me require a previous version of Windows handy because the system will ask for it to verify you eligible to install the upgrade. When prompt you'll have to put it into either the floppy or CD drive for verification, depending on which operating system you are upgrading from.

Be aware that there are three possible Windows Me products. A full version requires no previous software verification. A Windows 95 upgrade (about $169) requires the insertion of a Windows 95 disk or CD during the upgrade process. The upgrade for Windows 98 (about $85) requires the Win 98 CD.

The rest of the installation is pretty much straightforward. Follow the prompts until the process finishes. You will be prompted to restart. Make sure you remove the floppy disk from the floppy drive and put it in a safe place. Also be sure to keep the previous Windows CD with the upgrade package so you can verify you own it in the event of any future reinstalls.

Edited by Lifein8one3, 09 February 2006 - 12:53 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tiffin...

You will be far better off cleaning up the Win2000 than to do a clean install with ME. Windows ME is probably the most unstable operating system ever released by Microsoft. Do you have the Win2000 disk?

If you have your heart set on installing ME, post back and let us know. Or you could see what the Malware folks can do for you...they are pretty darn good at what they do...probably the best on the net.... :tazz:

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I think she said she tried all that, she just wants to reformat...

Oh yea...and u should dump the ME if you can. Very unstable OS. Get XP :tazz:

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
i dont really have my set on any OS i dont mind i dont have a 2000 disk because it was already on the computer when i got it i also have windows 98 but i have been told that windows does not support that anymore, i can fit xp on it but no disk and i dont care for xp

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
If i may...

The good thing about XP is that is has very up-to-date security patches for your computer...almost daily..thats pretty darn good. Maybe you should take it into consideration. Well, i feel i have offered all the help i can give here. Good Luck!

*psst- i wish someone would take a look at my topic hehe

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
thx life a bunch actually that reformatting post helped me a bunch if i ever decide to do it, thanks again for all you have done and wannabe i am doing the malware steps right now thx again for that you are all on top of things here

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
np, great to know i was of some service

Advertisements

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
ok so im trying to reformat but i dont have a startup disk tab in my control panel... can someone help me reformat

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tiffin...

Opted for he ME install I take it? The startup disk for Win2000 won't be of much use to you, what you need at this point is a Win98SE OEM diskette. The WinME diskette is a little glitchy so I prefer using the 98SE diskette.

Once downloaded, double-click on the downloaded file and put a floppy disk in the floppy drive when prompted to do so. This will create a startup disk to format and install with.

You will need the WinME cd and the product key for that cd in order to do this.

When you have that and are ready to go, let me know...

wannabe1

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
ok its saying when im trying to get that on my floppy it says Disk error on track 1 head 0 error in reading

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try a different floppy diskette. And it must be formatted.

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
ok i used the same one and just clicked ignore when that error came up and it finished downloading is that ok?