Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How To Reformat Windows NT and Put Windows ME on

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Unfortunately, the key is not stored on the disk... :) You must have had the key at one time.

I see that you replied to your topic in Malware. This might be the problem...they look for logs that aren't being worked on (0 replies)...I'll see if I can point that out to someone over there so that you are not overlooked.

I peeked at your logs while I was there...I'm no expert on those, but there is some stuff on there...not really bad though. They'll get you fixed up... :tazz:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 09 February 2006 - 05:48 PM.

Advertisements

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
oh oops thx alot though

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Cool...loophole says you have a clean machine... :tazz:

Let's see if we can get this machine running a little smoother for you.

For Virtual Memory: Click Start, then Control Panel, and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Performance" tab, click on the "Change" button for Virtual Memory. Choose the option to "Let windows manage the size" (Or similar...I haven't been on an NT machine for a while). "Apply" the changes and reboot.

Open Internet Explorer. Click on "Tools" on the toolbar and choose "Internet Options...". Under the "General" tab, click the "Delete Cookies..." and the "Delete Files..." buttons. Accept the changes if prompted.

Click Start, point to "Programs", then "Accessories", then "System Tools", and choose to run "Disk Cleanup".

Click Start, point to "Programs", then "Accessories", then "System Tools", and choose to run "Disk Defragmenter". We may have to boot you into Safe Mode to complete this one, but try it in Normal Mode first. If it hangs or starts over quite a few times, let me know.

Reboot the machine. Does it seem to be running a little faster now?

wannabe1

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
there is no performance tab under my system under control panel, i have windows NT.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
And I'm a bit rusty with NT.... :tazz:

Work on the others...I'll dig up the settings for the virtual memory.

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
ok i found the performance tab but when i get into virtual memory there isnt a thing that says let windows manage itself or whatever it says

space available: 16764
initial size: 192
maximum size: 384 then it says SET over here

max registry size: 64

and these you can change there text boxes with those in them

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Set the maximum size to 512 and click "Set".

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
ok while its disk cleanup when do i run those programs loophole told me to run once every day???

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I run an Anti Virus scan once or twice a week depending on how much surfing I've done. Anti spyware I run after downloading or installing anything or at least once a week.

The Sygate Firewall and the SpywareBlaster both have real time protection. The firewall will take a bit of training, but it won't take long.

To speed up your browsing, you might consider downloading Firefox. It's quite a bit faster than Internet Explorer...and some say safer. I say just less hacked at... :tazz:

Running the things I'm having you run now should be done a couple of times a month...the defragmenter a little less often. Getting rid of the clutter (cookies and temp files) really help the machine stay optimized for longer periods...just a part of good maintenance.

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
its defraggin now everything else is done i do think its back to normal though i cant thank you enough wannabe a classic good guy. thx so much for all the help from you and loop

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are most welcome, tiffin...always glad to lend a hand!

Think about how close you came to having no computer...had you gone ahead with the format you would have been dead in the water for some hours now. Instead you're running on a pretty solid system...I think you made the right choice.

Don't hesitate to come on back and see us if you have any further problems!

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 09 February 2006 - 11:49 PM.

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
i agree with you 100 percent thx for convincing me not to do that the person i got the me disk from says the code is built into it but you never know

dont worry im coming back need be even just to chat

im recommending this site to plenty
'
have a good night