Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scanner won't work after I connected an external HDD! Help!

• Please log in to reply

PC Kitty

PC Kitty

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, can someone help me? :tazz:

I just plugged in an external hard drive into my Win 2000 PC recently (an internal Maxtor HDD inside a Lexcron external HDD casing), and now my scanner doesn't work!!! :) :) :)

Win 2K is not detecting my scanner at all, nor any of its drivers, and running the scan program (ArcSoft PhotoStudio) shows the error message "Scanner is offline".

When I tried reinstalling the scanner driver, Win 2K wouldn't even detect it from the driver CD!

The scanner model is Canon CanoScan D125OU2.

It is connected via USB (as is my external HDD).

I have other devices plugged into my PC that are connected via USB too, and they work fine. In total, the devices connected via USB port are:

- 1 Fuji digital camera
- 1 external TEAC CD-ROM drive
- 1 Canon printer
- 1 external Maxtor HDD

My PC's internal drives include the following:

- 1 Western Digital HDD
- 1 Seagate HDD
- 1 3.5" floppy drive

I tried Googling and I think that there might be a SCSI ID conflict (i.e. the external HDD I plugged in might have been assigned my scanner's ID), but does anyone know how to resolve that???

Please help! Thanks a million!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. What happens if you disconnect the external hd and then try using the scanner?

PC Kitty

PC Kitty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. What happens if you disconnect the external hd and then try using the scanner?

Hi, thank you for replying!

Even after I disconnect the external HDD, my scanner still doesn't work. I tried unplugging the external HDD and even my other connected USB devices, but my scanner is just simply no longer being detected. :tazz:

PC Kitty

PC Kitty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi, thank you for replying!

Even after I disconnect the external HDD, my scanner still doesn't work. I tried unplugging the external HDD and even my other connected USB devices, but my scanner is just simply no longer being detected. :tazz:

Sorry, can I bump this up? :)

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Bumping is not encouraged and its seldom necessary.

Everytime someone posts on your thread they subscribe to it and get notifications whenever any new post arrives. If the feature is kept on of course.

Bumping merely spams the post and gets in the way of questions and answers.

PC Kitty

PC Kitty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Bumping is not encouraged and its seldom necessary.

Everytime someone posts on your thread they subscribe to it and get notifications whenever any new post arrives. If the feature is kept on of course.

Bumping merely spams the post and gets in the way of questions and answers.

Sorry, I didn't know! :tazz: But now I do...

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Sorry, I didn't know! :) But now I do...

Thats why you asked, no shame in that :tazz:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Tryuninstalling the new HD through device manager. What happens then. can you see the scanner?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
First time I have run into this. I went to M$ and did a search for "usb device conflict" and found multiple hits. Try this one http://support.micro...kb/310575/en-us

More: http://support.micro...h=sup&x=10&y=13

I have multiple external hard drives and a scanner. I can move the hard drives between systems just plug and play, and can always use my scanner, camera etc when needed. This is a strange one, like I said, never ran into it before. Does the scanner power up? Have you tried another USB cable on it?

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01–PCKitty –[USB Scanner Problem]
10th Feb 2006

1st – Start with the Basics –

(1) – Verify that the – [External Power Pack] – is Properly Connected –

A- AC Input Cord is properly connected to a – [Functional Receptacle]
B- DC Output Cord is properly connected to Scanner – [Fully Engaged]

(2) – Verify USB Cord is properly connected to Scanner – [Fully Engaged]

(3) – Verify Scanner Power Switch is – [ON]

2nd – Now prepare – [Device Manager] – to show USB History – Follow these steps –
________________________________________________________________________________

Prep [DEVICE MANAGER] to view [Non Present Devices] –A (1 time process)

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Click [PROPERTIES] on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click [ADVANCED] Tab – (on System Properties)
(3) – Click [ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES] Tab -
(4) – Under [SYSTEM VARIABLES] Section – Click [NEW] Tab –
(5) – In [NAME] Section – Type – devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
(6) – In [VALUE] Section – Type the number 1
(7) – Close out by Clicking [OK] Tabs – 3 Times – (3 levels/panels to close)
(8) – Click on [START] Button > Then click on [RUN] –
(9) – Type – devmgmt.msc – and then Click [OK] – This will open [DEVICE MANAGER]
(10)– Click [VIEW] on Menu > Click [Show Hidden Devices] on Pop Down Menu –
(11) – View [Hidden Devices] – Indicated by Faded Gray Print – (Close when completed) –
(12) – Restart Computer – (To ensure a good [Initial] beginning -

Now Open [Device Manager] in Normal manner & Set [VIEW] options to [SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES]

Standard Process to Open [DEVICE MANAGER] with [Show Hidden Devices] Option set -

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER]
(2) – Browse down [Menu] to [Properties] > Double Click to Open Properties Page
(3) – Click on [HARDWARE] Tab
(4) – Click on [Device Manager] Tab
(5) – Click on [View} on Menu Bar
(6) – **Click on [Show Hidden Files]**
(7) – Expand Folders as required
(8) – You need to double left click or right click each line to reveal additional info
(9) – [Non Present Devices] will be denoted by –(Light/faded gray print)

** Step 6 will have to be set to [Show Hidden Files] on each opening of [Device Manager] **

Now Browse thru – you need to Expand Folders & either Left Double Click or Right Click all lines to see more info – you are now looking for the – [Muted/faded gray] Devices with Yellow Warning Signs or have a Bold repeated instance of same name –

If you do have a faded gray instance & bold instance – That is indicating that either 2 Drivers are installed or you have some remains of a previous Driver –

Now you may see a lot of Non Present Devices – That is ok – you just don’t want to see many with the same name – These [Non Present Devices] (The Proper Ones) are kind of a place Holder for PnP when the Device is either [TURNED OFF] or [DISCONNECTED] – so when they are turned ON or CONNECTED – PnP will not try to reinstall – The devices will simply play/function as usual – [EXAMPLE] – You do not always Turn Printer ON – but when you do – you just want it to print – Not to be reinstalled each time – So when you do Turn the Device off – You will see the transformation of [Device Present] to [Non Present] – change from Bold to Faded gray –

This is more evident with USB Devices than with non USB – USB Devices are PnP Compliant –

Anyway see if this brings out any clues as to what is happening – with –[Imaging Devices] – Your Camera & Scanner should both be listed under – [Imaging Devices] Folder

If nothing else you will be able to see some USB Problems/Issues by using [Device Manager] set to [Show Non Present Devices] – Just remember to set [VIEW OPTIONS] to [See Hidden Devices]

Post back results

Jack123

PC Kitty

PC Kitty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Anyway see if this brings out any clues as to what is happening – with –[Imaging Devices] – Your Camera & Scanner should both be listed under – [Imaging Devices] Folder

If nothing else you will be able to see some USB Problems/Issues by using [Device Manager] set to [Show Non Present Devices] – Just remember to set [VIEW OPTIONS] to [See Hidden Devices]

Post back results

Jack123

Hi Jack123! Thanks for your reply! I got what you said, what do I do next? Should I delete both of them and reinstall? Is that advisable? If so, how can I delete them both in the "correct" manner? Thanks again for bothering! :tazz:

Posted Image

PC Kitty

PC Kitty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

First time I have run into this. I went to M$ and did a search for "usb device conflict" and found multiple hits. Try this one http://support.micro...kb/310575/en-us

More: http://support.micro...h=sup&x=10&y=13

I have multiple external hard drives and a scanner. I can move the hard drives between systems just plug and play, and can always use my scanner, camera etc when needed. This is a strange one, like I said, never ran into it before. Does the scanner power up? Have you tried another USB cable on it?

Yes, it doesn't seem to be a physical problem with the device, just a problem with the software part, because I tried shifting all the other USB cables around (I have 4 ports on a single USB splitter and another USB port that leads directly into my PC and I tried shuffling them around), and all the ports work fine. That is, for e.g., my printer plugged into another USB port works fine, but the scanner plugged into any functioning USB port still does not register.

It only became like this after I installed the external HDD. :)

Thanks for the link to the Microsoft site btw! I checked it out. I certainly seems like a feasible thing to try, but quite troublesome (because I have to unplug everything and start over one by one! :) ). I'll leave that as a last resort. I'll wait to see what Jack123 has to say and take it from there.

I'm just a little paranoid my other USB devices will go crazy on me too. I have a deadline to meet and my scanner being down is already bad enough; I can't afford my printer, digital cam or external HDD to leave me too. (If you've guessed, I'm a designer. Heh! I do print design, for a magazine. Explains the need for loads and loads of storage space - 3 HDDs!! - and scanning! :) I have a bunch of CDs for the CD Reviews section [it's a music magazine!] to scan in, and I can't!) :tazz:

Thank you for taking the trouble to respond!

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02–PCKitty –[USB Scanner Problem]
11th Feb 2006

Ok – Was Scanner Connected or Disconnected when the snapshot was taken -

(1) – Disconnect Scanner
(2) – Open [Device Manager] – set to view [Hidden Devices]
(3) – Open One of the [Scanner Folders] by double clicking on it
(4) – Click [Driver] Tab
(5) – Click [Uninstall] Tab – This will uninstall driver from Device Manager – but not from PC –
(6) – Close [Device Manager]
(7) – Restart PC
(8) – After PC has started & Windows has Loaded and ready to run- Open [Device Manager] set to view [Hidden Devices]
(9) – Connect scanner to USB Port & Turn On

Device Manager should flicker/refresh & hopefully – Recognize Scanner as –[Present Device]-

Jack123