Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

One-Way-File_Sharing Problem

• Please log in to reply

amorupen

amorupen

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I've been trying to solve a problem that i have discovered to be very common for on the internet but no one actually has a solution for it. I have 2 computers establing in a LAN and have enabled file sharing capabilities. My desktop is connected to the router through wire and my laptop is connected wireless. its a D-link router which is obviously connected to the modem. im able to access the shared files on my laptop from my desktop. But if i Try to access the files on my desktop from my laptop i would get a permissions error.

Error: \\pc name is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource...Access is denied." When trying to access a share.

any help would be appreciated

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi amorupen,
Basic Checklist for Networking
1. Ensure that all firewalls are disabled for all computers involved.
2. Ensure that all computers on the network are in the same workgroup.
3. Ensure each computer has File and Printer Sharing installed.
4. Ensure that you have File Sharing enabled - to do this, right-click on any Drive or Folder on one (or all) of the computers, and select Sharing and Security.... Ensure that Share this folder on the Network is enabled.

If you have performed all of these steps, and you still can't connect, then try the following... *NOTE: For testing purposes, please share your D:\ drive, or alternately replace D:\ with the path to your Shared Folder/Drive.
Please goto Start --> Run --> Type CMD and press OK --> Type:
cacls D:\ /g everyone:f -- NOTE: There is a space between the \ and / along with a space between the g and everyone -- there is no space between the everyone, : and f

Are you now able to connect to the Desktop from the laptop?
-Dan

amorupen

amorupen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
no that didnt solve the problem.
I think its a permission issue on my desktop
i typed that command on my desktop
should i have typed it into my laptops command shell?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Could you please restart both your Desktop and your Laptop into Safe Mode with Networking, and then try to share files between them. Are you able to?

I think its a permission issue on my desktop

If that's the case, then the cacls command should have fixed it. Since it didn't, I have a feeling that it's a software (Firewall?) issue.

i typed that command on my desktop
should i have typed it into my laptops command shell?

Only type it on your Laptop if your Desktop is unable to connect to your Laptop.

amorupen

amorupen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
no it didnt work
, in safe mode i can not file share.
in fact i cant even see the other desktop computer

amorupen

amorupen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
is there anything else you can suggest?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi amorupen,
For all computers involved, please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it.

Please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> Now type: nbtstat -c -- please copy/paste the results by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum.

Also -- Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> Now type: net view -- please copy/paste the results by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum.

Please goto Start --> Run --> type: \\[Computer_Name] (ie: \\DANIEL) and also \\[Computers_IP] (ie: \\192.168.0.1) -- *NOTE: These should be the other computer's IP and Name, not the computer that you are on. What happens when you do this?

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
i have a similar problem. just posting here so i can get email prompts whenever this post is replied to ^_^

kk,
thanks

Kalian

amorupen

amorupen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I did a format on my desktop and that seemed to have solved the problem
thanks for the help anyways, i appreciate it.