Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Putting images of people on websites

• Please log in to reply

bigpato

bigpato

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have recently opened a website www.stonelove.co.uk
I was wondering if anybody could advise me about using images of people on my website ie. pictures of the carvers that produce the statues for me?
Any comments would be appreciated
Thanks bigpato

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I have no idea what you are asking, but the rules for posting pictures are going to be different from place to place. You will have to check with the local officials to see what is required. Here in america we can get a release that allows us to post someones image anywhere.

ScHwErV :tazz:

Krizniak

Krizniak

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Everyone has the right to control his image.
And there are [international] rules for copyright of intellectual or artistic works.

If you put photographies of somebody on your site, you must ensure that :
1. You have the right to do this (this is the case if you took the picture yourself)
2. The person must agree to have his image on the site. Usually, to prevent any problem, it's a good idea to print the photo on a paper and ask this person to write down that he agrees the publication of this image on your site (+ date, of course).
3. [optional] If 1 and 2 are ok : you should clearly mention that you are the copyright holder of the picture.

Hope this helps...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A photograph of a person isnt an intelectual or artistic work at least not to the person on the photograph(its an artistic work to whoever took the picture technically).

Rule of thumb is just to ask someone if they are ok with a picture on the net, if they are producing goods then they usually dont mind the free advertising, just ask them they are the only person who could complain about it so it makes sense.