Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which items to delete in Task Manager/Processes ?

• Please log in to reply

blue_twisted_steel

blue_twisted_steel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
OS = Win 2000 Pro
My system is running very slow and I noticed I have far too many programs running when I pull up Task Manager -> Processes. I would like to delete many of these parasitic items.
1. Which items, if any, must remain in order for me to make sure my system will reboot and operate?
2. How can I delete the items and also prevent new programs from running without me knowing?
Thanks.

Advertisements

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I'd recommend going to the HiJackThis section of this forum. Otherwise, I would need you to post your list of running processes before you start ending them.

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Check out this link- on how to disable startup items, and also links to startup list guides to help you decide what to keep and what to remove.
http://www.pacs-port...tup_content.php
List of Processes under the Processes Tab, Task Manager
http://www.answersth...es/tasklist.htm
If the system is running slow, also ensure its free from spyware and also do the general cleaning up which includes a disk cleanup and also analyzing for fragmentation/ defragging.

Edited by dagger, 09 February 2006 - 10:14 AM.