Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop

• Please log in to reply

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
How will this laptop run in gaming turms

AMD turion ML-32 cpu @ 1.8ghz
1gb pc2700 Ram
ATI radeon x300 graphics

mainly i want cs source and hl2 maybe doom 3 and quake 4 and farcry

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
HEHEHE, buddy your gonna have to fork out mege bucks to play those gaes on a laptop, thats pretty good for a normal laptopand itll play games ok but HL2 needs a lot of power more than an x300 has and far cry and quake 4 are even more demanding on power.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I have the ram to play the games. The processor can handle the game. I can play cs source on 640 x 320 smoothly on my celeron 2.8 with 512ram and an onboard radeon 345m. My main concern is how the two video cards compare

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the x300 is better certainly, you might manage 800x600 but its sacrilage to play those games on something like that, and the source engine is good for scaling down for slower systems far cry is demanding on powerful systems it doesnt scale down well and quake 4 really doesnt. You really play on 640x320, you must get owned, i would probably switch to CS1.6 if i was using that low res.

The i have a friend who has a slightly slower laptop but with the x700 laptop card and it plays them ok at 800x600 on medium, which os ok waste of the screen(its an xblack) but its ok. So it will play them but its not designed for it, for games like that you really want something with its own decent amount of memory. It will be better than what you have, but i couldnt play fps on it, RTS would be fine but nah i wouldnt try would totally spoil the game for me.

UNC

UNC

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

HEHEHE, buddy your gonna have to fork out mege bucks to play those gaes on a laptop, thats pretty good for a normal laptopand itll play games ok but HL2 needs a lot of power more than an x300 has and far cry and quake 4 are even more demanding on power.

HL2 will play on an x300, because i have an x200 and it runs HL2 fine. I can run COD2 also but at the lowest settings there are, but HL2 runs great with normal settings on an x200 so i guess it would run even better on an x300. Im not sure about those other games, but i think they are very close to this.

UNC

UNC

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
umm.... i was just wondering what all this crap is for, cause im buying a new graphics card and i dont know what all this is for. Im guessing to hook it up to the power... but what about the other ones... thanks for any help.

http://www.newegg.co...s...rd - Retail

Edited by UNC, 10 February 2006 - 12:26 AM.

UNC

UNC

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok I know im asking a lot, but could someone look through these video cards and tell me which one is the best one for up to $250. i love you. thanks.