Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't turn on.

• Please log in to reply

geotrac

geotrac

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am having a problem with an older model PC. I was adding new ram and everything was working well. PC loaded and everything was up and running. Was updating some files and rebooted PC. At that point PC would not come on. The light on MOBO was on and CPU fan would do about 3 turns then stop and nothing else would happen. Nothing running at all except light on MOBO is still on. Tried again, but unless I removed power cable and then plugged it back in, the CPU fan would not even do the 3 turn, nothing. Have tried disconnect on/off switch and jumping with screwdriver and only does same. Also, had another PC that I cleaned and upgraded ram. It was running fine until took it to desk to setup then it would not come, seems like same problem. Any ideas what I may have done wrong?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
check all your cables on the inside...something might have gotten loose...also...try taking out the CMOS batter for a while with the machine off....you may also try taking out the new ram and see what happens..

Have tried disconnect on/off switch and jumping with screwdriver and only does same.

hehe i love that trick..it always confuses people when they watch hyou do it

Burton1

Burton1

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
What did you update btw? So you updated your computer and it would not turn on? So you took a different computer and put it in its place and it would not turn on? Am i right? If so this sounds like a blown fuse. Their might not be any power comming from the wall to your machine.

Edited by Burton1, 09 February 2006 - 11:17 AM.

geotrac

geotrac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I was upgrading one PC and had it up an running and was updating some software when I had to reboot. After reboot PC would not turn on. Went to my sons PC and added 128 MB RAM and a 10/100 card. Everuthing worked fine affter two or 3 reboots. Son picked up PC and took home with him and when he tried to hook up PC would not come on. Only common thing used on both was the power cord I suspect it may have a short in it and shorted the PSU. Power is fine from wall outlet. The last time I plugged PSU with another cord it kicked circuit breaker. Do you know how to check PSU for short in it?

Burton1

Burton1

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Do you have any other spare power cords? If so try that, their is probably a short in the power cord. And im sorry but im not a eletrictian type of person so i wouldn't. I suggest buying a new cable or bring your PC to a COMP usa or BEST buy and see if they can let you borrow a cable and plug it in their and if thats the case buy it.

geotrac

geotrac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have already changed power cord, but suspect PSU may be shorted since it has kicked circuit breaker again. Any ideas how to check PSU for short?

geotrac

geotrac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Found out PSU was bad and changed it out. Now everything is loading up properly except CDROM is not recognized when I go to My Computer or Device manage and will not read CDs. It will open and close and will spin the CD. Also checked in BIOS and CDROM is recognized there. Any ideas on CDROM.

geotrac

geotrac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Have checked cable even changed it out but no luck. Am getting another CDROM to try it. In meantime I disconnected the old CDROM booted CP and then reconnected and rebooted. When booted with CDROM disconnected it did not show up on BIOS or on bootup screen. After reconnecting the CDROM then rebooting, it showed up in BIOS and on bootup screen but when go to My Computer doesn't show there. It will open and close and spin CD but not read files on it. Think it might be a software problem, any ideas?

Edited by geotrac, 18 February 2006 - 07:44 PM.

geotrac

geotrac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Tried new CDROM and it did same as first one. Went to DOS and found that CDROM would work in DOS so it was not bad just Windows software problem. Tried to update drivers but nothing helped so finally reformatted HD and reinstalled Win 98, now everything working fine just have to reinstall programs.