Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Modem Problems

• Please log in to reply

dcrab

dcrab

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My computer will connect sometimes, and sometimes it wont. When it doesn't connect it gives the error code 691. My computer is a gateway and the modem has a gateway part number on it. Unfortunately I bought the computer used, so I have no software. I installed a new harddrive (formatted with win98se) and downloaded the drivers for the modem. Device manager gives no yellow or i beside modem. Everything shows to be ok. On the dial-up prompt, if you select properties tab, its says no modem installed. When it does dial up it seems to take a little long. Also, I tried to install a new modem (US Robotics). It came with a installation cd and successfully installed but did not work. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
dcrab

Edited by dcrab, 09 February 2006 - 01:09 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i'm gonna move this post over to the hardware forum (as this seems like it may be a faulty modem)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Dial-up Error 691 is a "wrong username or password" error.

Windows is good at using the right drivers when you set it up initially, but doesn't appear to be this strict when installing drivers later; it will usually install something that looks right, looks good in Device Manager but in reality doesn't actually work.

Having said that, the fact that you can get a 691 error in the first place suggests that the modem does seem to work.

Something to try -> right-click on the connection in Dial-Up Networking and look around the various tabs; there's an option in there that says "log on to network" which for some bizarre reason is set to defautl in 98SE. Turn that option off, and also on the same tab towards the bottom is a list of protocols; turn them all off except for TCP/IP as you need that one but not the others. Then click OK.

That on its own should speed up logging in.

dcrab

dcrab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, That was big help. I still have problems sometimes though.