Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

TCP/IP error

• Please log in to reply

b_4363

b_4363

• Pip
  • 5 posts
All right, here's the problem. My computer completely crashed on me and I had to reload XP last night. The load seemed to go all right, but now my networking is messed up. When I type in IPCONFIG in a command window I get the following message:

Windows IP Configuration.

And that's it. No IP addresses, nothing. If I go into Control Panel, Network and Internet Connections, Network Connections, and I right click on my connection and try to repair it, it gives the following error:

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following actionn cannot be completed:
Failed to query TCP/IP settigns of the connection. Cannot proceed.

I went online to Microsoft support (from a good computer, obviously) and printed the page to reinstall TCP/IP, but it didn't work.

Does ANYONE have any suggestions? I have tried reloading XP from scratch multiple times, but to no avail. Would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thank you....Eric

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
right click on my computer > manage > device manager....do you see any yellow ? or !

b_4363

b_4363

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It's a sea of yellow. When I went to where you told me, here is what I saw in yellow:

(under 'Other Devices')

? Ethernet Controller
? Mass Storage Controller
? Multimedia Audio Controller
? Network Controller
? PCI Modem
? Video Controller
? Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

I have tried using the XP disc to reinstall the drivers, but it couldn't find them anywhere on there and wanted to search the Internet, which it obviously cannot do. So what do I do now to fix these problems?

Thanks again:)

Edited by b_4363, 09 February 2006 - 05:57 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Yep, you'll have TCP/IP messages because Windows doesn't know what to do with your network ports. It knows that they are there, but not how to use them.

If you have a CD that came with the system (the motherboard drivers CD), run that to fix everything else, then do the same for your modem.

Failing that, google for AIDA32 or Everest Home Edition to find out what motherboard you have inside your computer, then go to the manufacturer's website (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Asrock, etc) and get the drivers from there. Obviously you'll have to run AIDA32/Everest on the system with the missing drivers and then do internet on the one you're on now.

Edited by Neil Jones, 10 February 2006 - 05:38 AM.

b_4363

b_4363

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you Neil. I ran the Aida program and here is what is showed (just a part of it, since it's so long):

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
Computer Name LAPTOP (LAPTOP)
User Name Eric
Logon Domain LAPTOP

Motherboard:
CPU Type Mobile Unknown, 1383 MHz (12 x 115)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Intel Montara-GM+ i855GME
System Memory 496 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (04/20/05)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

My question is what I need to lookup next. I believe you said I need to look up the manufacturer, but since it's unknown, where should I go? FYI, it's a Dell Inspiron 700m laptop, but the disc they gave me must not have had the required drivers on there or something. Thanks again.....Eric

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if you go to the dell website you can enter your service tag number (usually on a sticker underneath the laptop) this will allow you dl the proper drivers for your laptop..and transfer them to your machine

b_4363

b_4363

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you very much for all your help. It's working great!