Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error installing Office - cannot find file

• Please log in to reply

jerik

jerik

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am trying to install an installation of Office 2003 on an XP machine and an getting an error that it cannot find SKU011.CAB when I try to run the program after I install it.

I have read the solution of copying the file from the CD to the folder, but SKU011.CAB is not on on the Office CD that I have. Yes it is an original CD.

Where can I find SKU011.CAB?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you say it's an original cd...but is it THE cd that was used to install it the first time?

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
you have to set window explorer to show hidden and system files. the file is in the root of the CD

jerik

jerik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, it is the original CD that was used for the initial installation.
And I had also already set it to show hidden files and folders, as well as showing all extensions and system files.

EDIT: File found - some installations are network installations and I found the file there.

Edited by jerik, 09 February 2006 - 03:35 PM.

jerik

jerik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, as I stated in the previous post the file has been found. It was also copied into the correct folder. I am still getting the same error.

The problem with the error is that it is looking for the file in a drive that is only mapped for Admins and cannot be mapped for users. How do I get the program to look for SKU011.CAB in a different location?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
get a person who can map it to install the porgram...there was a reason this was done this way...

How do you have the original disk when it was installed from a mapped server? I am confused

jerik

jerik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Office 2003 is installed from the admin login and the drive that is mapped for the installation is not allowed to be accessed by the user.

I have the original disk because I loaded the disk on the network so I could do network installations.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well here's the question....where's the admin...and why isn't he installing this software? does he know you have the disk? why do you have the disk? and why aren't you talking to YOUR IT department?

Geeks to Go Support Forum Rules, Policies and Disclaimers
• We offer free computer help and tech support for home and personal use. We are not here to support others that work for profit, or to support/replace your company's IT department.

jerik

jerik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I am the admin and the IT dept, that is why I have the disks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Office 2003 is installed from the admin login and the drive that is mapped for the installation is not allowed to be accessed by the user.

if you are the admin...why aren't you installing the software logged in as an admin with access to the install point?

jerik

jerik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I think we are getting some confusion, so I will go through the whole thing to clear up what the issue is.

When I installed it I went to the user's computer and logged him off. Then I logged on as admin (with the mapped network drive) and installed Office '03 from the network shared drive. Then I logged off and had the end user log back on using his own login. When he tried to use Office it gives him the file cannot be found error. The user login does not (and cannot) have the shared drive on his login that contains the files for the Office installation.

How do I get Office to stop asking for the file and start loading office normally?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
after installing it as admin...did you run any of the programs? also after the install did you check the box "remove installation files"

jerik

jerik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, I ran the office programs as admin to make sure that they worked. When I tried to run them as the user I received the errors.
I do not believe that I removed the installation files, but I could be mistaken.

Would leaving the installation files correct this problem?

Edited by jerik, 15 February 2006 - 01:15 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
leaving the installation files would allow for office to look on the local machne for the missing files when the program is first run....since for whatever reason...office doesn't reallyl fully install

deepbluedavo

deepbluedavo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Re various missing SKU011.CAB issues.
The Reg hack below fixed it in my particular case.
Single profile laptop, original CDs available, detect and repair ddid not fix it and SKU011.CAB was nowhere to be found on the HDD or CD, and yes, I always keep the installation files and do not delete them off the HDD.
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;896866 was useful background reading and may work for other scenarios.

You have 2 choices.
a) After you have cancelled out of the install request, try “Detect and Repair in the Help section of any of the other MsOffice application that does not generate an install/upgrade request. If this does not work for whatever reason try Option b) which DID WORK for me.
b) try this:-
• Go into Registry Editor (Start, Run, "regedit").
• Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Software, Microsoft, Office, 11.0, Delivery.
• There should be only 1 directory under Delivery, which is your DownloadCode
• (mine was 90000409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9).
• Select that directory.
• On the right side of the screen, right-click on CDCache. Change the value to 0.

I actually had 2 other DownloadCodes, so I changed the value of CDCache in each of them as per above.

Edited by deepbluedavo, 24 March 2006 - 11:42 PM.