Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error message

• Please log in to reply

cjh1221

cjh1221

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I have a computer with windows 98 and suddenly last time i tried to start up i recieved an error message "no operating system found error" and could not go anywhere from there. I tried pressing F8 because i seem to remember accessing safe mode that way. It does nothing for me. Is there another way to try and get everything back? I cannot run any virus scanners because i cannot access windows. I always do that first when i get any type of error message. I would really like to try to save my files if possible. :tazz:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Usually means your hard drive's gone south as your computer either can't see it OR it can't load from it.

Could try hanging it off another computer to see if that one can see it, and if so get your stuff off it in the process.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi cjh1221...

Do you have a Startup disk? If not, download this Win98SE OEM diskette. Once downloaded, double click the file and put a floppy when prompted to do so. This will create a startup disk.

Put the startup disk in the bad machine and power it on. When you get to the options screen, press Shift + F5 to get a command prompt. Once at the command prompt (A:\) type fdisk /mbr (note the space after fdisk) and press "Enter". This will rebuild the boot sector and, hopefully, get you running. If this works, I would advise backing your important data to removable media or another hard drive because, as Neil Jones pointed out, your HDD could very well be going bad.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 09 February 2006 - 06:22 PM.