Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Full administrator user permissions for windows xp home

• Please log in to reply

scott54

scott54

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
After attempting to install H&R Block Deluxe Tax software for 2005 Federal, I got the message, "You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please return from an administrator account." I was logged in under a user with administrator privileges (vs limited) when attempting to install the software. I'm running windows xp home with sp2 and NTFS file system. Tech support on live chat suggested I try the forums. Any suggestions? Is it possible to have an "administrator" account type as seen under control panel->users accounts, but not actually have full privileges? thanks for any help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yes..in fact...on xp home or pro...any user with administrative privelages IS NOT the true administrator....to log in as administrator...log off of your current account...ans ehwn y ou get to the screen that allows you to choose your user press ctrl alt del twice...this will bring up the classic logon box...type in administrator as the user name...and...whatever the true administrator password is (hopefully you remember this from when the machien was set up....if you don't try not putting a password in)