Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM ideas

• Please log in to reply

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Hi, I have a POS comp in my basement that me and my friend are trying to get running. It is fixed up a bit and we checked out the specs. It has a...

Pentium 4 256K L2 cache Willamette Core
Intel D845PT Motherboard with a BIOS date of 3/14/02 and 4x AGP slot
GeForce FX 5700 LE 128MB DDR
1 x 256 MB PC2100 133 MHz DDR RAM
1 x 512MB PC2700 166 MHz
2 x 160 GB Seagate Barracudas 7200.7 RPM

We need no pay ways to make it faster. Would taking out the slower RAM have much of an eefect? The system is from 2002. Should I overclock?

~The Colonel~

Edited by The Colonel, 09 February 2006 - 06:18 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Taking out the slower (PC2100) ram will make the system slower. The highest FSB that that motherboard supports, is 266MHz (i.e PC2100) so the PC2700 module will only ever run at 266MHz regardless of whether you remove the PC2100 or not.

If you want to boost the memory speed, check to see if ECC is enabled in the bios. If it is, disable it to increase performance.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Alright. Do you believe I should perform a BIOS update and/or overclock it a bit? I am trying to get it running HL2 and other games well.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
There 6 bios updates (P01 - P06) available for your motherboard. Bios revision P03 provided 48 bit LBA support. As you said you have 160GB hard drives connected, then I assume you must have bios version P03 (or later) already.
The bios updates P04 to P06 don't seem to add or fix anything of any real significance, so I would stick with the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' rule & only update the bios futher if you actually need to.

As for over-clocking....
To play HL2, the system specs already easily exceed the minimum requirement for that game. Over clocking the system by a small amount tends not to make a huge difference in performance, and over-clocking by a large amount tends to lead to instability as well as overheating if you're not careful.

Does that motherboard even give you the option to overclock it?

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I don't know if it overclocks, it might, but I ain't sure if i can change the multiplier. We can get it at 640x480 fine, just kinda small you know? :tazz: Anyways thanks for the help m8.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're welcome :tazz: