Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safe mode random hang (XP)

• Please log in to reply

notwenam

notwenam

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have suffered a malware attack by the latest in the spy.... series SpyFalcon. To fix this I need to run various processes in safe mode but safe mode keeps hanging. The hang varies from first click on any icon to 5 minutes in but never long enough to run smitRem!

Hanging safe mode is not refered to as a feature of the malware attack anywhere.

I am running xp pro on a system which is rock solid in normal mode...... any ideas?

Mike

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is to see if any of the programmes here will clear the problem

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

achilles becqx

achilles becqx

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hi,
If the safe mode is creating a problem, do a sfc /scannow on the computer and thats also on the safe mode and chk if the windows installer and drivers dont have any issues, if ur computer is not an sp2 u can also go ahead and upgrade the o/s

notwenam

notwenam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Not sure what you mean by sfc/scannow. It is already on SP2.

I am being advised on malware removal but I can not complete because of these random hangs in safe mode.

Normal boot is fine and in normal mode the system is solid and reliable.

Safe mode boot goes ok it is when I come to use it in safe mode that it hangs. By hang I mean the cursor freezes, numlock does not work, in fact it responds to nothing but the off switch!

It hangs anywhere from the first mouse click on the desk top to after 5 minutes of use, different every time.

Mike

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
You would be well advised to follow what Keith said.

If you have an infection, nothing you do to fix your problem will do any good till the infection is removed.