Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can you Fix this?

• Please log in to reply

pvc4twenty

pvc4twenty

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
New build. Ran a few times without fail. Began shutting down randomly and giving me a blue screen of death. Ran fine for about two weeks after that. Suddenly began doing it as soon as windows loads. Asus has replaced my mobo twice. I have replaced the RAM and tried three different brands, I have swapped out the power supply. Here is the error message. Could it be my processor or graphics card?

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT-IN_NONPAGED-AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacterer for any windows updates you might need.
If problem continues, remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shaowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Setup Options and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:
***Stop: 0x00000050 (0xFF00FFF8, 0x00000000, 0x80543C1D, 0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete

Advertisements

achilles becqx

achilles becqx

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hi,
If u have more than one ram slot on ur computer just change the slots and that will help to resolve the problem,

pvc4twenty

pvc4twenty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Tried that before. Didn't do the trick. Why do you say that?

Cheex

Cheex

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I get that every now and then. For me, it's usually a cooling problem.

Hope that helps...

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
This error can usually caused by hardware but can be caused by incompatible software. Faulty memory is usually the cause but it can be processor or graphics card.

Have you tried booting up with a minimum about of hardware installed?
Have you updated all the your hardware drivers?
Are there any error messages in the system log?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Read this.

http://www.microsoft...md_stp_ccgm.asp

As you can see the problem can be caused by many things. I would try to remove antivirous and disconnect everything except for ram, HD and video card. Set BIOS to default values. reinstall video driver.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
we get this all the time in work, usually when we are installing windows onto an older system. I can honistly say we usually switch the hard drive and it goes away, but iv seen it come from most devices (iv built/worked on in excess of 100 computers). So i wouldnt say it IS the hard drive, but its worth a shot.

rivekm

rivekm

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I found this on another site, this looks like it may be your culprit.

I NEED HELP
ALL OF A SUDDEN WHEN I START MY COMPUTER I GET A BLUE SCREEN WITH
A MESSAGE.
AND THE GIST OF IT IS
PAGE_FAULT-IN_NONPAGED AREA
THEN I HAVE TO RESTART THE COMPUTER AND CHOOSE START
NORMAL.
ALL WORKS FINE AFTER THAT.
IS THERE ANYWAY TO GET RID OF THE PROBLEM
I HAVE W XP PRO. WITH I GIG OF RAM

AND NO NEW PROGRAMS INSTALLED.

It sounds like your pagefile is either missing or corrupt. Even though you have 1gb of Ram you still need a pagefile. You can verify this by right clicking on my computer/choose properties then click on the advanced tab then click on settings under the performance tab/ then click on advanced and at the bottom you will see virtual memory. It should be set to at least 1.5 times the amount of ram. I would remove the virtual memory setting. Reboot your machine and then re set your page file settings.

pvc4twenty

pvc4twenty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Tried doing the virtual memory trick via safe mode, tried swithcing dimm slots...neither worked. I have backed things up and am currently formatting. If this doesnt work I will have to try a new processor or video card. Thanks for the help. I will keep you posted.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Can I make a quick suggestion...?

As ZEUS_GB mentioned, this type of problem, although typically caused by either System RAM, L2 Cache or Video RAM, can also be caused by incompatible software or drivers, as well as other hardware faults.

Assuming that the fresh install of Windows goes OK, I strongly suggest you try running the system (offline) for a good couple of days before loading ANY drivers or software, except for the drivers XP installs itself.

This means of course, not connecting any USB or other external devices (except keyboard/mouse). Do not load anti-virus software at this stage or any other programs. What you should do though, is download some hardware testing utilities & benchmarking utilities on another computer, burn them to CD & then virus check them. Then run them on the new computer. If these all appear to work, especially the benchmarking ones, then it would indicate that the problem is driver or software related.

pvc4twenty

pvc4twenty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Well I have reinstalled XP and because I hadn't read Samm's post yet I installed my video, LAN and audio drivers. I will however let it run offline for awhile and see what happens. I believe the problem might be related to norton antivirus as many people have name antivirus software as a possible culprit. Thanks for the suggestions. Any reccomendations on antivirus software for my particular setup?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yeah, don't use Norton!

Personally, I recommend either Avast or AVG. Both are completely free, they automatically update & they don't run loads of components in the background draining all the system resources.