Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Computer's not starting

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all, I'm having some problems with my PC.

For a while I was encountering lots of BSOD's with the "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" message, but it seems to just be a cooling problem. As a stopgap measure, I opened up the case and let a desk fan cool it down, and this seemed to work for the most part. However, it has been occurring a bit more frequently of late, so I decided to sit down and make sure all of the fans are working. I cracked open the case, cleaned out the CPU heatsink (being VERY careful when replacing it), as well as the GPU heatsink. There was tons of dust (as I expected with an open case), but I cleaned it all up.

I also decided to try something else; while the case was open, I wanted to move the sound card to a different PCI slot, as I figured my previous blue screens may have been to do with conflicting IRQ's and - since XP doesn't allow you to change the IRQ allocation - I figured that changing PCI slots may help this.

I got everything screwed in properly and hit the power button. All the fans start without fuss, and the hard drive starts humming - but no beep, and no image on the monitor. The amber LED on the case turns on and doesn't flash like it usually does.

System Specs:
P4 2.7GHz
512Mb RAM
256Mb nVidia GeForce FX5700
Gigabyte P4 Titan Mobo (I guess - that's what the mobo says, anyway :tazz:)
120Gb HD

What I've tried:
- Reseating all removable drives/cards.
- Removing and then replacing the CMOS battery.
- Removing all unnecessary drives/cards.
- Plugging in an old video card.

The only variation I seem to get is that sometimes the hard drive starts spinning, and sometimes it doesn't. I've not been able to pinpoint what exactly makes it do this, though...

I have a sneaking suspicion that it has to do with the mobo, but I'm not sure.

Any help?

Edit: just a quickie: I did a quick search of the forum as well as Google, but found nothing that was of any use. I'm just running out of ideas, now...

Edited by Cheex, 10 February 2006 - 12:07 AM.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Scrap that, it's working now. Turns out I hadn't replaced the CPU properly :tazz:

It really helps to read manuals...

Edited by Cheex, 10 February 2006 - 12:43 AM.