Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video Capture and dvd file types

• Please log in to reply

Pip326

Pip326

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I have a few questions about video capture cards and dvd file formats. If you could answer them it would be appriciated.

1.) Can a video capture card such as WINTV capture television directly from your a show you are watching on sattelite tv? if so does it put it directly to the hard drive and how complicated is it to do? And is this works, can you scedule the card to record a certain channel at a certain time, (Like a tivo)

2.) Do dvd's have their own special file format, if they do would it be possible to put the dvd file on my computer and then convert it to a veiwable avi file? are there converters out there that will do that?

Thank you very much

Advertisements

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
Welcome Pip <_<!

Let's see what we got here.

1.) Can a video capture card such as WINTV capture television directly from your a show you are watching on sattelite tv? if so does it put it directly to the hard drive and how complicated is it to do? And is this works, can you scedule the card to record a certain channel at a certain time, (Like a tivo)

ok im not sure what WINTV so perhaps admin or nathan could help you out.

2.) Do dvd's have their own special file format, if they do would it be possible to put the dvd file on my computer and then convert it to a veiwable avi file? are there converters out there that will do that?

yes dvd's do have their own special format and yes you can convert it to a viewable format. I have actually done this before.

I must warn you that i believe it is illegal to rip copyrighted dvd but if you have your own home dvd videos then you can convert it.

I have found http://www.dvdrhelp.com to be extremely helpful to me.

good luck and let me know how it goes!

:D
ditto

Pip326

Pip326

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for the help with dvd formats, i might get a program for backing up my important dvd's is there a certain program that would be better?