Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What do you think of Front Page?

• Please log in to reply

fay47

fay47

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
A couple of friends are considering working together to develop web pages. I might work with them. They have decided to use Front Page. I have some limited exposure to HTML, JAVASCRIPT, and ASP using Microsoft SQL. I am now taking the HP class on PHP and MYSQL. The other two have some recent very limited exposure to HTML and JAVASCRIPT only. None of us have any experience with FrontPage.

What do you think of FrontPage?

Fay

Advertisements

F.A

F.A

• Pip
  • 4 posts
im not really fond of front page.. the way it code seems ackward to me.. i rather use notepad to code, mostly when im on friends computer.. i also using dreamweaver at the moment..

fay47

fay47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
F.A.

I would problaby rather do the code myself also, but we are considering doing it for a business and need to be able to turn stuff out as quickly as possible. But, I tend to be a little leary of code generators in general. How does DreamWeaver compare to FrontPage?

If I go back to my friends to try to change their minds about FronPage I will need some specific reasons as to why and probably something to suggest in its place. I don't think they will go for coding from scratch. I am an old "dinasour" of a programmer. Programmed on a main-frame for many years, and would probably prefer to do the code myself - but I don't think the other 2 will go for that unelss I can give them some pretty strong reasons.

If there are some specific things about FrontPage we should consider I would like to know aobut that. If you think DreamWeaver is a better choice, Why?

Just a note: when doing the coding myself I prefer an alternate editor such as NOTEPAD2. It provides some color coding and shows the col and line you are on. It does not add anythng to the code or change it in any way. Just makes it a little easier to see what you are doing. Can't remember where I downloaded it, but it was free. There are other such editors too.

Again, if there are some good reasons for styaing away from FrontPage I would like to know what they are, so I will have somthng to present to the other two peopel involved.

Thanks, Fay

F.A

F.A

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hmm... dreamweaver have code references, html,css,javascript etc.. makes very easy to code and also with DOM info related to each of it..

second they have browser(IE 3, IE4 etc2) and code validation (html 2.0, 3.2, 4.0, etc2) kinda useful...

based on my experiences dreamweaver is easier to code than frontpage.. lotsa snippet and most html tag are click and drop and you ready to go.. each element can be modified elegantly without jump directly into coding stuff.. plus it has compatibility with another macromedia's program (flash,fireworks,coldfusion)

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
If you need to turn things out quickly and multiple people need access, then you should skip front page and look at a content management system.

Front page (and dreamweaver) do a horrible job with code and if you get someone in there who knows what they are doing who needs to make changes, you will make their life miserable.

ScHwErV :tazz:

fay47

fay47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
OK, probably dumb question, but what do you mean by a content management system?
Fay

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
http://en.wikipedia....nagement_system

fay47

fay47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Ok,

Thanks
Fay

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
i used to use dreamweaver to make webpages only with the visual part- big mistake, it's horrible. but, now i use the code part to type my code, it's very conveniant that as u spell an element/attribute it selects from a list the full name of the elemtent/attribute, or, u can go through the list to quickly select what u want. also i use the validation (xhtml 1.0 strict).

as for learning html/js... better, i really suggest w3schools

Edited by TaNkZ101, 14 February 2006 - 06:28 AM.

fay47

fay47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Thanks to all for your input. The other 2 have already bought frontpage. At this point thought I am not sure anything is really decided including whether or not I will joing in with them.

Thanks agian,
Fay

mr. winfrey

mr. winfrey

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Like some of the others, I've never used it. I'm more down with good ol' notepad.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Its more of what ever you like the look of and feel more comfortable

Most of them do the same things the other will, and what ever you like and look is what will suit you the best! :tazz:

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
I usually code em ....I keep a library of sorts of code I commonly use and just cut and paste when I want them...less monotony and quicker.

Front page, like most other pagebuilders I would assume, is limited as compared to freehand html code and its quite easy and efficient once you learn the basics.

A friend gave me her copy, that she outgrew and I use it basically for tables...I just hate those tables!!! It really speeds up the process there.

Another oddity with Front Page...or at least it used to be that way...was its noncompliance with free space such as Geocities offers (Geo can be a real pain anyway)