Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"the cable is unplugged"

• Please log in to reply

inite

inite

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Thats the message i keep getting every 30 mins or so starting 2 days back. Im not too sure if its virus, which i've posted a hijack log on http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=97109

Im using a router, wired wireless connection. "the cable is unplugged" just pops up by the tasktray so often its so frustrating. Any idea what could be the possible causes? Or any way i could check it out?

Advertisements

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Sorry, heres the right quote :

"A network cable has been unplugged" Is it loose? happens to both my bro's and my comp. Both behind the same router.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on both machines do start > run > cmd > ipconfig /all
and post the results...lable one as my comp and the other as bro's comp

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Heres mine :

Posted Image

Will post bro's later, cant get access to his comp atm

Edited by inite, 11 February 2006 - 01:05 AM.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Heres my bro's :

Posted Image

Just a little info, my bro's comp is the server.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
any help any one?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi inite,
Hopefully we will be able to help you, however you haven't really provided enough information for us to identify the cause of the problem.

Im using a router, wired wireless connection.

So, are both computers hardwired to the router, or wireless, or one of both?

When the error message appears, do you lose all connection to the Internet and/or Network? If so, what happens when you do this: Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternatively for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.
How often does the error message pop up? Can you give us an estimate, or is it completely random?

Just a little info, my bro's comp is the server.

Why is your brother's computer a Server?

Please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR and press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within.

Thanks,
Dan.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
My bro's comp is the server cos his comp is much better and faster than mine, so we thought it would be optimal he would be the server. We are both wired to the router. I was on wireless initially, but last year, bought a cable to wired it up.

Since then i've not gotten any problem. However just some 3 days back, the "the network cable has been unplugged" msg keeps popping up, twice in a row. My connection doesnt seem to be shut down completely, cos if it does, it'll reads " limited or no connectivity". Instead when i look into my connection, it says im connected, but im not able to access the internet.

Also, i just noticed that whenever the problem occur, i can go over to my router's homepage, key in my password in the "wan" option and wait for 6 mins ( this is the normal time i've to wait whenever i attempt to reset ip). I reckon the router doesnt seem to save my pw thus explaining why it keeps getting d/c?

Also, according to your advice, i've done the above, and under the source of Tcpip, heres the error message :

Unable to start a DCOM Server: {FB7199AB-79BF-11D2-8D94-0000F875C541}. The error:
"The system cannot find the file specified. "
Happened while starting this command:
"C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" -Embedding

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Heres a Screenshot : (will post Screenshot in a while, imageshack is acting weirdly)

I noticed that just today, i've gotten so many warnings and errors as shown, is it normal or something is going seriously wrong? Im also worried that virus could be behind this, thus posted a hijackthis log link above.

Ty for ur time, appreciated =)

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Posted Image

Heres the SS

Under "dhcp", this is the error message, looks like its what causing me problem :

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 00115B087D3D. The following error occurred:
The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Edited by inite, 12 February 2006 - 08:02 AM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
No, it's not normal to have so many errors. Before we start looking at those errors, could you please restart your computer(s) into Safe mode with networking, and then connect to the Internet; browse for a while and see if you still recieve the cable is unplugged error message, and also if you lose connection to the Internet. Do you?

It was a good idea to post a HJT log, however please don't reply to your own posts in the Malware forum -- this will only delay a response further. If you have not recieved a reply after three days, create a post in The Waiting Room.

Thanks,
Dan.

Advertisements

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Ty, posted in the waiting room already =)

Also, i tried surfing the net with 15 mins in safe mode with networking, no problem at all. Do u think i can system restore to a date where i have not gotten so many errors? Do u reckon it would help?

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
atm the problem is so serious i can hardly surf, so i've decided to do the following :

http://www.speedguid...les.php?id=1497

Pls let me know if this would work. I'll do a system restore as soon as someone tell me its risky or stupid.

ty

Edit : Ok, i tried to increase the limit to 100, and an error prompts me to insert my window xp sp2 disc. But i dont have my disc with me atm, and it says "it may result in the system being unstable". I continued anyway.

Would that be risky?

Edited by inite, 14 February 2006 - 07:49 AM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
I'd be inclined to say that this is a Malware issue. Whilst waiting for a response from the Malware department, I would highly recommend that you follow all of the steps located here.

Edit : Ok, i tried to increase the limit to 100, and an error prompts me to insert my window xp sp2 disc. But i dont have my disc with me atm, and it says "it may result in the system being unstable". I continued anyway.

Would that be risky?

No, this is completely normal; it is only displayed as you are modifying a Systems file. However, the modifications are not in anyway damaging, so you will not notice any instability.

Do u think i can system restore to a date where i have not gotten so many errors? Do u reckon it would help?

It might, but your best bet would be to wait for a reply from the Malware Staff.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
I tried that already.

Anyway, till now i've not gotten any of those tcpip errors. Is setting the speed from 10 to 100 the best option or can i increase it further since i saw the option of 239847239847 (random numbers, but it was huge in the option)

Also, i normally download files from lets say yousendit at a speed of around 13kb/s. Is it possible to have it higher? is there also a limit on my comp regarding this?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Anyway, till now i've not gotten any of those tcpip errors. Is setting the speed from 10 to 100 the best option or can i increase it further since i saw the option of 239847239847 (random numbers, but it was huge in the option)

Are you referring to Duplexing Speed?

Also, i normally download files from lets say yousendit at a speed of around 13kb/s. Is it possible to have it higher? is there also a limit on my comp regarding this?

What's the advertised download speed that your ISP has given you? What sort of connection do you have?