Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP cant run programs, errors all the time

• Please log in to reply

tortmom

tortmom

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I can't believe this is happening. It seems like I have tons of bugs.

Yesterday am, we had a power outage. When I went to log on my computer, I now get a ton of errors. When I reboot, I get (not always in this sequence) svchost.exe Applicaton error - Instruction at 0x009 a96bc referenced memory at 0x00000000 memory cannot be written.

I also get Data execution prevention - generic host process for win32 services error. (I can't seem to get rid of this one. I hit cancel, close message, and it keeps popping up.

I also get an error server busy - action cant be completed other program busy. chose switch to activiate the busy program to correct probelm.

I can't run any programs or download my digital camera. I ran PC Pitstop and removed unneeded items from startup. Didn't help and now my printer doesn't work.

I tried to restore from two different dates and it came back both times and said it couldn't restore.

I need help! I haven't started in safemode (I tried twice but couldn't get there), but I wouldn't know what to look for if I did get there.

Tortmom
for turtles & tortoises

Advertisements

scottb

scottb

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Try doing a repair install of xp.

put in xp disk reboot system press enter to install xp, press f8 next you should see an option to repair current installation by pressing R. press R and away it should go this replaces existing xp files with new ones with out lossing any other data on your system.

hope this helps.

tortmom

tortmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I tried that. My xp disk told me I had a newer version running than what was on the disk and recommended I didn't go further. I couldn't even get to a place on the disk to let me "repair" from it.

I finally called someone I know and works on computers. I had to pay to get it fixed. He said he found a virus on it. All I know, is it's working now.

People who create virus' should be shot!

I had norton systems works, zonealarm, adaware, spybot, spyblaster all on my machine and running. I can't believe the servers from earthlink, MSN, etc., don't catch these things when they run through their equipment.

Thanks for the help.

Tortmom

scottb

scottb

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Hi tortmom,

glad to hear you got it fixed, sorry to hear it cost you money.

you'r right people who create viruses should be shot. nothing better to do with their time.

did you have two or more firewalls or anti virus programs running at the same time, e.g. like windows firewall and nortons firewall ? from what i've read they can conflict with each other and things can get through. although i've not experience this problem.

maybe this could have been the cause ?

tortmom

tortmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yes, I had zone alarm and norton running. My guy thought that might have been an issue too. He removed my zone alarm and I haven't reinstalled it yet. I jsut got another memory error the other night. Same kind. I'm worried I may still have something in my system and I don't know it.

scottb

scottb

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
it could be the original power outage has damaged something, or if you have been on the net without antispyware installed something else has got in. if you have go to Internet Malware removal under tittle topics you will see a link for Antivirus / antispyware resources go into this and follow the link for highjack this follow the instructions and run it and post your log on that forum someone there will run through it and let you know if you have any bugs left.