Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Increase Question

• Please log in to reply

alaska

alaska

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
The kind of computer work that I do is mostly text. I do not need extreme graphics nor do I store a lot of programs, photos etc. I would like to be able to run multiple programs without bogging down my computer. What do I need to do to my computer to accomplish that? I have a Compaq Presario SR1010NX with 256 MB DDR SDRAM memory. I have one empty slot and the max memory my rig can accomodate is 2048 MB memory. But, I'm not even sure if its memory that I need to be able to run multiple programs. I went to a site called Crucial.com and they scanned my computer and gave me a part number for a compatible upgrade (512 MB) but I'm not sure if thats even what I need. I sure would like some advise. Thanks VERY much. :tazz:

Advertisements

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Your main problem is windows itself uses about 256mb of ram.

Your 512mb upgrade would do your computer wonders.

Edited by DeSade, 11 February 2006 - 01:47 AM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Yep. XP likes memory. replace that 256 stick with a 512 and you will see an immediate improvement in performance.

Johanna

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
I would say a stick of 1G will be the most bang for your bucks right now.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
might be most bang for buck, but it does not sound like the user would need 1gb, so unless it's close, I would not sweat going from 256 to 512

No reason you cannot add 256 more, by adding one stick to the empty slot and keeping your current stick for a total of 512.

That is a difference of about $70

I rarely exceed the need of 512 mb -- I know that is not the popular thing to say, but if you carefully monitor your system you can see that most people do not need more than 512mb, which is the "sweet spot" for XP

Now, heavy gamer, graphics maestro, developer....yeah, go for the gusto, but typical users will not notice a boost from 512 to 768, let along 1gb

I have, however, run into more than a few HP machines that were loaded with 128mb of ram for windows XP! It's like trying to squeeze into your favorite pair of jeans from high school--not happening

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
I not realy sure if I agree with you here Gerrif. You sure do know more than I do but this was some thing that I thinking of bringing up later.
I run 1G(2 sticks) memory on mine. When I check task manager, I have never seen the windows report that it use more then 512 but on other side when I take out one stick and leave it run with actual 512 and what I found was the CPU load alots higher and the actual performance seemed to drop somewhat.
But I do agree that ALASKA don't need more than 512.

Edited by mcpscomp, 10 February 2006 - 01:52 PM.

alaska

alaska

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'm impressed with everyone's friendliness (this was the first time I've used this forum). I can't thank you guys enough for the advise. Now...the BIG question is......is installing the new memory as easy as some people say? Any tips?? Thank you. Alaska

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
-Locate the emty slot
-push two tabs at the ends outward
-push the new stick strait and even into slot 'till the two tabs at the ends click back by them self.
REMEMBER:
-unplug before work
-discharge yourself before touch any component.
-There is only one way to go in. if it not go in do not force because it could be wrong slot or wrong way.
EAZY ENOUGH ?????????????

alaska

alaska

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

-Locate the emty slot
-push two tabs at the ends outward
-push the new stick strait and even into slot 'till the two tabs at the ends click back by them self.
REMEMBER:
-unplug before work
-discharge yourself before touch any component.
-There is only one way to go in. if it not go in do not force because it could be wrong slot or wrong way.
EAZY ENOUGH ?????????????

WOW!! You guys are the BEST!! Thanks so much from Alaska (snowing like crazy today) :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I can only add a few things

mcpscomp's directions are bang on, here's a more detailed set of instructions from Compaq

http://h10025.www1.h...ocname=bph03886

The memory currently installed in your system according to Compaq is pc2700 or ddr1 333 (same thing, different name)

In regards to more is better, well, I'm not saying that more is not better, what I am saying is that the boost for most users beyuond 512 is negligable.

Windows will use as much ram as it can, but beyond 512 for Alaska...UI just do not see it making a difference

I have 1gb and am currently using 530mb, with 470 wasted (rounded). I have 3 explorer windows open, email program and one faily resource hoggy newsreader downloading 4 threads from two newservers

Yes, the extra ram is nice. But the difference of 512 extra is hardly noticeable

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I have a full gig of RAM, and I never "use" it to its capacity, but it does make a difference when doing graphics editing, streaming music, etc simultaneously.

Gerryf- two of my kids' comps are recycled ancient HPs with one 64 Mb RAM and the other 128. They are sllloooowww, but they run XP Pro, and do their thing, if you have the patience. I would, however, go nuts if I had to work on either of those comps for anything more than fixing a goof. (I'm spoiled rotten!)

Johanna

alaska

alaska

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
One last question (for this subject), and that is...are there "brands" of ram you recommend or are there "brands" of ram to avoid? Also, does anyone have a recommendation on a business to purchase from (since I'll be mail ordering it)? Thank you so much for all the help. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
mail order: newegg, mwave, zipzoomfly

brands to consider Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, Geil, Muskin, Transcend

Avoid: anything else unless you've had good experience

MOST ram is not made by the companies, but the above companies do a good job of getting good ram and testing sufficient quantities to improve your chances (Crucial Ram is made by Micron for the most part and Crucial is owned by Micron, so they kind of make their own ram, but most companies get ram from firms you have never heard of or do not know they make ram)

alaska

alaska

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you VERY much. You've been a big help.