Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Reboots and Lag

• Please log in to reply

xsaberion

xsaberion

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Just yesterday, my computer rebooted (while I was sleeping). It reloaded with an error message:

BCCode : 9c BCP1 : 00000000 BCP2 : 8054D370 BCP3 : E20000FF
BCP4 : 84010400 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_

C:\DOCUME~1\B~\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER2f9b.dir00\Mini021006-03.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\B~\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER2f9b.dir00\sysdata.xml

Immediately afterwards, I ran my virus scanner, ad aware, spyblaster, and s&destroy.. nothing turns up: I ignored it pretty much, for a whole day. Playing games, etc. without problems, music, and all.

Then around 4 am (2 hours ago), I got a sudden surge of lag, including choppiness in my music. I thought it was nothing - it comes and goes, until it eventually froze my computer. I had to turn off the power - turning it back on, it froze 5 seconds after my OS loaded. After another reboot, it worked for about 5 minutes and a blue screen popped up - and the process repeats itself.

I've taken the time to clean my computer also. I checked for overheating, and it wasn't present.

I've also noticed my CPU Usage would shoot up to 100% much faster, and it'd be around then that I freeze. Normally, I can do a lot and never lag - but since that, I can barely loading my scans. I've re-scanned my entire computer again.

I'm running Windows XP, the computer has been in use for about 1 year or more. This is the first time I got this type of problem. I have half a GB of RAM, and there's 5 GBs free on my OS hard-drive. I haven't done anything new lately, except change my region and language settings - I changed it back afterwards (prior to the error).

If anyone has a solution, it is appreciated.

Also, if any more information is needed, please let me know. I'm also accessing this forum using my laptop, so much of what I can do is slightly limited. However, I will do my best to provide the information you guys need. Thanks again, in advance,

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi xsaberion! Welcome to G2G!

Please go into the Event Viewer and see what errors occurred at the time your computer freezes. Boot into Safe Mode (turn on computer and tab F8 about once a second until you get the screen giving you the option to boot into Safe Mode) if you have to. Make sure in safe mode that you log in under your named account and NOT the Administrator account.

Click START-->RUN and type EVENTVWR.MSC and hit ENTER.

Look under SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS for items with RED X's that happened at the SAME time as your problem...List them here.

Also, I know you said you checked for overheating, but choppiness is usually from a component getting too hot. If you said it just froze up and didn't get choppy, then it could be possibly bad memory/ram, but that is not the case here. So please download Speedfan, using the link in my signature (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the temperatures it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If there is no other way for you to get the file onto the problem computer other then downloading it from the Internet from that computer, then choose SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING and type in the URL exactly as it shows and download speedfan from it. DO NOT GO SURFING while in safe mode because you are unprotected!

Fenor

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedFanExample.JPG

xsaberion

xsaberion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I downloaded the SpeedFan, but I couldn't install it:

Application popup: 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem : The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:06cf IP:047e OP:63 61 74 65 64 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

These are some of the errors I saw with my various reboot attempts:

Error code 0000009c, parameter1 00000000, parameter2 8054d370, parameter3 e20000ff, parameter4 84010400.

The BuddyVM service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.

The IPSEC Services service terminated with the following error:
The authentication service is unknown.

The way the computer would freeze usually starts with me loading the program and then having it slow down after a while. I tried keeping my Windows Task Manage on, checking Performance. I usually see it the CPU Usage at 100% at the time it freezes. But when it comes to choppiness, it would start occuring around 85%, and continues as the amount raises. Also, the blue screen occured atleast 2 times during the 2 hours: even if I didn't do anything, and the CPU Usage is at 0-10%.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Fenor

xsaberion

xsaberion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
This is what I got from my HijackThis log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:26:24 PM, on 2/10/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\runservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Mixer.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2000\WebTrapNT.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape\Netscp.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2000\Tmntsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2000\Pop3Trap.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2000\pccntupd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\DAP.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Ben\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://www.google.com/"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Ben\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\indlqtbq.slt\prefs.js)
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5CNetscape%5CNetscape%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Ben\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\indlqtbq.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pop3trap.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2000\Pop3trap.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WebTrapNT.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2000\WebTrapNT.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools-1033] "C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iHP-100] C:\Program Files\iRiver\iHP100\iHPDetect.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DeadAIM] rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files\AIM\\DeadAIM.ocm",ExportedCheckODLs
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Real-time Monitor.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie2.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\YAHOO!\MESSEN~1\YPAGER.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\YAHOO!\MESSEN~1\YPAGER.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Dominoes - http://download.game...ts/y/dot8_x.cab
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Go - http://download.game...nts/y/gt2_x.cab
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Literati - http://download.game...nts/y/tt4_x.cab
O16 - DPF: {2A7EFEAA-8059-4C69-8FE2-4BA999C3B102} (TrickCtrl Class) - https://ssl2.gcrest....ickLauncher.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.syma...n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: LicCtrl Service (LicCtrlService) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\runservice.exe
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Trend NT Realtime Service (Tmntsrv) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2000\Tmntsrv.exe

I've also experienced a full 4-5 hours of non-lag before it occured again. This time, I got a blue screen that had the words machine exception or something similar. My computer automatically rebooted before I had a chance to write it down.

I've used the following, recommended in the link that was given:

TrojanHunter
Ad Aware
Spybot Search&Destroy
CWShredder
Hijack This

I also ran my antivirus and 1 of the activescans listed.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
He asked you to post that in the malware forum...whatever....you do not have any malware.

Got to
http://www.memtest.org/
download eitehr the floppy or ISO install....run the memory tester for at least three passes...anything?

What programs are you loading?

Are you overclocking either your videocard or your motherboard? Would you know if you were?

xsaberion

xsaberion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
No overclocking is done, and the usual programs I run are:

AOL Instant Messenger, Netscape/IE, Notepad, Download Accelerator, PC-Cillin Antivirus, and couple of MMORPGs.

How do I go about using the download? My floppy drive isn't present also - only have access to a single USB and CD-ROM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you will have to burn the pre-compiled iso

You need to burn this image to a CD and boot your computer with it--this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download the following program to a Windows XP machine, install it.

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

YOU MUST CHOOSE THE RIGHT INSTALL FOR YOUR VERSION OF WINDOWS (THIS is service pack dependent)

After installation, right click the ISO file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.

Set your PC to boot to the CD first in BIOS, then let the self-loading memory tester go.

I am also somewhat apprehensive about download accelerators and daemon-tools...I have found both programs to cause odd problems when they are malfunctioning.

xsaberion

xsaberion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I asked my friend to do the step you gave me; he told me he didn't see anything wrong. I also asked him to help me check it - he doesn't know what's wrong though. So I'm not really sure - we did some tests:

I ran my computer for 5 hours, without heavy music/video usage. We still got the blue screen and it rebooted.

I then tried using my computer with extensive video only, nothing happened. But when this happened, I kept my sounds off (the speaker only). Nothing happened for 3-4 hours when doing this.

Then I started listening to music, while playing a yahoo.com game. I froze up halfway into the game, no blue screen.

Each time I did 1 of the above, I would reboot first.

I hope this will help in determining the problems... is it possible for the sounds to be causing the problem? The first time it crashed, I think I had music playing also. If it was, how would I solve it?