Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blocked Access

• Please log in to reply

kmilr

kmilr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[FONT=Arial]I have a Win 98 Pentium II 350 mhz running with access to the internet through a 'g' type D-Link wireless card. The card connects to an Actiontec DSL Gateway modem. I have another Pentium 3 machine running XP that is directly connected to the modem via a CAT 5 cable. The XP machine has no problem in connecting to www.adobe.com. I am running 128 bit encryption on the wireless network.
The WIN 98 machine returns an 'unable to display page' window every time I try to connect to www.adobe.com. I am runnning Zone Alarm and AVG virus on the WIN 98 also. I have disabled both and still am not able to connect to adobe.com. I have no problem in connecting to other sites on the internet.
I tried to ping adobe.com on the WIN 98 machine and received no response.
My first suspicion is that the DSL modem/gateway is blocking access but I have no idea as to why it would block that address and not others.
The only configuration changes I have made to the modem are:
1. Enabled the wireless network and turned on 128 bit encryption
2. Enabled port forwarding on two UDP ports so I can use a certain program which has to have access to those ports.

Any ideas as to what to try would be greatly appreciated!!

Advertisements

halterego

halterego

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Check your HOSTS file somewhere in WINDOWS directory (don't remember the exact subdirectories for Win 98).If there's an 'adobe.com' or a similar entry, just delete that line.

kmilr

kmilr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply regarding the 'Hosts' file. I checked and found the file but it didn't contain any reference to adobe.com or the IP address.