Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell XPS dual-core

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I was wondering what your opinion is on the new Dell XPS.

Edited by SOORENA, 10 February 2006 - 11:28 AM.

Advertisements

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
What model?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I was wondering what your opinion is on the new Dell XPS.

Yeah, what model.

You know that you end up paying more from dell on PC's and you dont get all high quality parts. There motherboards are all cheap in all of there systems I might add. I know you have the option to choose nice video cards and such but the system as a whole is not worth it. You can save money if you built it yourself or got a reputable custom company to put one together for you. The xps is pretty good system but why pay too much when you can get one cheaper or the same price with all top quality parts. Depends which way you go, custom built by you or custom built by a custom company. You will still end up saving money.

The xps 600 Hard Core Gaming is really the only one that is decent. The default one with the regular nvidia 6800 video card is already $1,799 it comes with a flat panel monitor with that price but you only get 1 gb of ram. The other low end xps are not worth it if you are a gamer because the video cards that come with it are the x300se and that card blows. Really really slow card. I just like custom built pc's because if I built one I can save alot of money and have all high end parts. I know you can get one built from a custom company comparing apples to apples to a dell xps 600 hard core gaming series pc for $1700 with everything ready to run with mouse, keyboard,speakers,soundcard,videocard,cd burner/dvd combo and a 19" flat panel monitor by a good brand. All high quality parts for $1700 ready to play on from a custom company over the internet comparing the same cpu,monitor size,memory size and same video card....

If you could build the whole pc yourself you could get the complete system for around $1500 or less..

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Another thing I forgot, dell uses intel pentium D chips. They are pretty good but the amd dual core x2 processors are better....

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The pentium ds dont do well for gaming either, with anything other than video editing and media encoding it scored lower on performance than not only AMD but its own single core chips.

retrac1324

retrac1324

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Are you talking about the XPS 600 Renegade?

The renegade looks awesome, it has nVIDIA sli quatro and a custom paint job .

See it Here:

Posted Image

http://www.dell.com/...s/ces/index.htm

Edited by retrac1324, 10 February 2006 - 06:00 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Are you talking about the XPS 600 Renegade?

The renegade looks awesome, it has nVIDIA sli quatro and a custom paint job .

See it Here:

Posted Image

http://www.dell.com/...s/ces/index.htm

I have known about that renegade over a month now. Yes its got quad video cards but I wouldnt buy that even if I won the lottery for example.. Yeah it will play games well but an amd dual core x2 4800+ with dual sli video cards would be better because the processer is alot better from amd on dual cores.. Its nice but I wouldnt buy it. I like custom computers and will be sticking with them forever lol.. There is better pc's out right now that is better than the dell renegade and they have only 2 video cards in sli. The 4 video cards is nice dont get me wrong but lmao you wont notice a difference between 2 video cards or 4 video cards of the same make and model... lol its just a marketing gimmick to try and make dell more popular into the gaming world. :tazz:

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Custom PCs ftw. Let's see I got my new 'ub3r l33t' gaming computer. Hmm...what is all this bloatware. Let's see...delete this...delete that. What the..., WHY DID IT CRASH??

"Dude, it's a DELL"

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Sorry I didn't reply but it looks to me like you guys hate that pc. lol . I just kind of got interested because it was the first computer i know of to have more than one graphic cards working as one. and the paint job, with all do respect really sucks.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lots of pcs have more than one gfx card its been around for a while now Dell was slow to pick it up in actuality.

Darryl

Darryl

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Custom built would be better