Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP cable internet issues

• Please log in to reply

roxybaby

roxybaby

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi,

I just upgraded one of my computers to Windows XP home edition (I was previously running Windows 98 SE). While the computer runs fine and recognized most of my hardware automatically during installation, it doesn't recognize my ethernet card so I can't connect to the internet to register XP. None of the program files for the ethernet card are on the computer. I have a product recovery CD from Dell, but to be honest I'm not exactly sure what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you mean that the drivers just didn't install?

if you right click on my comptuer > manage > device manager...do you see your ehternet card there? it should have a yellow ? next to it? if so go to www.dell.com and enter your service tag number to download the new drivers for the ethernet card...(of course.. i mean download the drivers to the computer you're using right now and transfer them over to the other ocmputer in whatever fashion you see fit)

roxybaby

roxybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for the fast reply! I went in to my device manager and hmmm, the card is listed in there under Network Adapters(Intel 82559 Fast Ethernet LAN on motherboard). No yellow question mark. Maybe this is a problem with my ISP?

roxybaby

roxybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I was able to resolve this issue. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, dsenette!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what was the resolution?

roxybaby

roxybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
With your help, I figured out that it was a software problem and not a hardware problem. I contacted my ISP, and they were able to help me set up the internet connection.