Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad RAM?

• Please log in to reply

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
So I posted yesterday about BF1942 running slow/choppy. I recently have been upgrading and I got some new ram 1024 Kingston PC800 ECC. When I installed it I left the other 2 sticks (Toshiba 128 nonECC) in it, when I would run BF Id still get some slow down and choppiness. A friend suggested that I remove the old stick and put CRIMMs in there. He said that the old ram is "slower" than the new stuff. Now I though PC800 is PC800, shouldnt matter if its new or old, should it? So I followed his advice removed the old stick put in the CRIMM's, lo and behold the choppiness is gone. Are my old sticks corrupted? I didnt have any problems with any other games (COD2, Halflife 2).
And heres another question about the same sort of thing, would adding another gig of RAM help out in running more complex games (BF2,FEAR)? Would it be a noticable difference (fps, texture quality) over just the 1 gig?
Thanx in advance,
-Pete.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Now I though PC800 is PC800

the pc100 or 800 or 2300 isn't so much related to the speed of the ram..as much as it is in the format...the bus speed can be different on ram of the same type...you could have 233mhz or 333...or something like that....all ram will only run as fast as the slowest ram in the bunch...which m ay explain why taking the old ram out made it better....though...that could also be that the old ram was bad...as far as the question about the extra ram....just be sure your motherboard can support it..either check your manual for the max supported ram and ram types or go to www.crucial .com and find out there

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
It can support 2GB, I know that. I bothered DELL so much the gave me all of the documentation about my DELL (its the stuff they only give to their tech dept.). I was just curious if the additional 1024 would really help that much, for texture quality,fps and resolution.
Thanx,
-Pete.