Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Start (Maybe - Maybe not)

• Please log in to reply

retired@50

retired@50

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RZ24G and the only hardware item changes are: added a stick of 2700 RAM (512) and a second hard drive (Seagate 160). My story is that since last Oct. after returning from a month in Louisiana as a Red Cross volunteer my system has been sometimes acting up at start-up. I typically shut off the computer every night. At first the computer would restart itself three (3) times before booting up. Now when I start up the computer in the morning it will start up but stops booting before the Windows logo appears. I then will have to stop and restart 3-4 times before the system boots up successfully. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Start > run
cmd
<enter>

type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

Say yes to run on next reboot.

Reboot, go take a walk this will take some time.

retired@50

retired@50

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Gerryf, thanks for the prompt reply. I did as you suggested, but it still does the same thing on start-up. Any other suggestions.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Any Beep codes?
Try removing the new stick of ram.

retired@50

retired@50

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
peterm, thanks for the prompt reply. I don't know what you mean by beep codes? And as for the added memory, when I run a program such as FreeRAM xp pro it shows the total of 1024 ram on my system. Are you saying that this could be the problem?

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
It wasn't SONY but it was IBM for me. and the problem I found was:
-the machine abit out dated(4years) and the wireless abit slow compare to the one I tried to lock in one time.......crashed.
-The machine was full, over 75% of HD filled.
-only 128M of memory on XP home
----------------
All of that combine and start right after the time I tried to connect to the extreme 108 wireless net work. The machine repeadedly and randomly reboot even at home without the 108 wireless network.
-----------------
My solution was clean up all the scrap, bring back the free space of HD. Reset the internet option by just go through all the steps even it looks like all the setting already there.I did even give it any extra memory or any thing. I thing the problem was the machine technicaly should work but it was out of resouce and never finished what it tried to do at first place so it crashed and ended up with all the corupted files and stuff that confuse it self. One it get lucky hit the one file that work it will run.
So all what I did was have it running and retell it what it have to do and it will learn. Try that see if it work for you.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Beep codes mean that the computer will start and have 1 beep which is the post beep - Normal. After this is there any more beeps comming from the computer?
As for the Ram you said you added an extra stick of ram take that stick of ram out and see if you still have the trouble