Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Burner Installation-Windows XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Have tried in vain today to install Nero CDN Burner. After I installed it using details from Google I ended up losing my Desktop. I removed the CD Burner and put back the plain CD-Rom Drive and Desktop came back., But I lost my 3.5 floppy drive also in process and CD-Rom will not operate. When I put CD in platter and select it off my desktop I get message advising me to make sure the disk is in properly, or I will get a message telling me that the shortcut has been moved or is no longer valid. I have checked wiring a number of times, but to no avail. Please advise. Please note that IDE is connected with power side on pin one.

Regards

No further ahead, but behind.

Waynf

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the
following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11­C

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Got my desktop back but still no CD-Drive or floppy working. More info before I go into registry. When I startup I get message that I have "floppy(s) fail " and to press F1 which I do and my desktop starts up. I'm wondering when I installed CD Burner if I didn't wire it correctly(IDE) in sequence to jumper setting on back of Burner. Also should CD Burner and Floppy be on the same IDE cable and does the IDE have to be flopped for Diskette Drive. I have read somewhere that floppy has its own cable.

Waynf

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
The cable for a floppy is different from a IDE cable and plugs into a different place on the mother board.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
OK how do I ascertain which is the cable for the floppy and does the same situation apply for the CD Writer. By the way the CD Writer jumper (plastic tab) is set at the end on the right hand side looking at it from the back.

Regards

Waynf

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Floppy cable is not as wide as a IDE, and will not fit into IDE slots, also IDE is too big to fit in the floppy slot so there is no way to mix them up.

*note* if your using rounded cables put the plugs together and see the difference that way

In order to check your jumpers I will need to know hte model of the disc drive.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
The only information I can give you pertaining to Burner Drive is as follows:
LG
CD-R/RW DRIVE
MODEL: GCE-8527B
S/N: 509HHNX176447
ROM VER: 1.02
CLASS 1 LASER
PRODUCT TO IEC 60825-1

Nothing more indicated on drive label.

Waynf

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
-For the flopy, there will be only one cable will fit into the drive. with the newer drive and cable you can only fit it in one way but for the rest(90%) you can plug in any way you want but only one right way will work. Make it simple, look at the led in front of the drive, if it on constantly even nothing in it, you can toss out the drive and go buy a new one because you got it backward and killed it.
-For the rest, the simple basic, you can have two drives on one IDE cable. The rule is one have to be master and the other have to be slave. You can set both drive as for cable select but I, personaly, not recomend you to do it. To how to set the drives jumpers, you will have to look at the skimatic on the actual drive in order to do it because they all different from manufactures to manufactures and model to model.
-After you have the drives all pluged in, some mobo will need you to go to set up for detect new drives even though it is not in manual. and it does not hurt any thing if you force it to detect for new drives anyway.
-For cables, Some of the new CD-RW.... will required the 80 IDE cable instead of the old 40 IDE cable to funtion even they include a 40 cable in package!!!!! CROOKS?????????
-In addition,I use lots of LG drives and they cheap and reliable but some time they only work with the program that come with the drive.
Hope this will help

Edited by mcpscomp, 11 February 2006 - 08:59 AM.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I think I'm wasting a lot of people's time. But I will summarize my questions:

1) Can floppy drive and CD Writer drive be on same IDE(My old Windows 3.1 has it configured this way)

2) There is no schematic with this on this CD Writer drive unless its inside somewhare but the jumper is to immediate right right next to 40 pin male plug in. Does this mean it is Slave or Master.?

3) My floppy was acting out lately anyway.

4)I noticed that one IDE runs from motherboard directly to hard drive . Is this correct?

By the way when I connected it yesterday, the light on the CD Writer only came on at startup. It seems to me that the Floppy disk did stay on. No sign of life in it as we speak, but it may not be connected right or its dead.

Regards

Waynf

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
1- No you can't have flopy and CD on the same IDE . Not that it not how it work,cables, conectors and port on mother board are all different. Even if you wanted to you still can't fit them together!!!
2- Yes I know for fact that there is schematic to set master or slave on every single LG. Or it on the label ot the back or it stamped as MA,SL CS...right next to the port.
3- Flopy dead is not big deal, cost only around $15
4- Normaly, most of mobo has two IDE and each you can connect upto two drives and again, one has to be master and oe has to be slave unless you use cable select. And for drives, TECHNICALY you can plug them into any of the two ports . But I would prefer #1 port will have with main HD as master and #2 port with writing drive as master.
Hope you will make it.

Advertisements

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
OK, I took a break from this maze yesterday, but I'm back in the fray. Upon examination of response from you guys, I examined my CD Writer and the schematic is burned right into the case. At the top of the casing near the rear I have the following items: reading from left to right:

RESERVED ANOLOG INTERFACE POWER
| | AUDIO
| | R G L C S M 38-----------------1 +5 GND +12
| | | | | S L A 40-----------------2 | | |

Its not a very good schematic but I hope it well help you help me.

I assume by the schematic abbreviations reading down that MA configuation stands for Master, SL stands for slave and CL stands for cable. Bearing this in mind where should the plastic jumper be placed if I am going to use only CD Writer and dispense with Floppy for now and connect CD Writer as master on IDE.

Also on fireup I get specification screen and error message Flppy(s) fail press F1 to continue. How do I get around this situation.

Regards

Waynf

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Your post
| | AUDIO
The way it is
| | AUDIO
Do you see the difference in the way CS/SL/MA line up ? and that is how you read it.UP and DOWN
What you see in actual pins are two lines of pins and what you have to do is jump two pins one of each line together, line the plastic jumper up under one the option you pick and shuff it in.
Now for the second question.I can only tell you a simplestconfiguration, if you have more drives than that and not feel comfortable, ASK!!!
-Your flopy,which probably dead, will be on it own port and use its own cable
-Your HD with its own cable Will be on port#1(or #2) set as master.
-Your CDRW with its own cable will be onPort#2(or#1) set as master.
-You can set the machine to ignor the dead flopy but I don't think you want to go to BIOS so the best way is go buy a new one if the old one dead.
-For your information, on the mother board, next to the two IDE ports there will be number 1 & 2. and if you can find it, just plug one drive in each port it will work fine toooooooooo.
Cmon. you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by mcpscomp, 12 February 2006 - 01:00 PM.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Thanks for the encouragement however one more thing I think! After all is said and done and I install new floppy drive where do I connect it insofar as IDE is concerned. As it stands now I have three IDE cables(well they look like them) one from board to hard drive. CD Writer has its own, and one for floppy(the one that is slightly smaller and fits. Do I have to retain the old simple CD-Rom drive or can I live without it. I assume the CDWR drive replaces that plus does CD Writing. I never had to ask this many questions when I had a Cool WWW Search problem last year!!!!!!

Thanks for you confidence in me.

Waynf

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
You can live without the old CD. If you want to keep it, ste it as SLAVE and plug it to the same cable of the HD.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Here;'s how it stands now on my machine:

Floppy disconnected
New CD Writer installed but not connected
One IDE from HD to motherboard
One cable from motherboard to floppy(not connected as floppy drive probably cooked!
One more slot in motherboard vacant
I removed an IDE from old Windows 3.1 machine with following specs:

FU AWM 2651 E97257 VW-1 105 degrees C 300V 28 AWG

This IDE from win 3.1 has only two connectors one on each end . Can I use this to connect between new CD Writer drive and motherboard-code on one connector reads FC-40P

By the way if I use this strip how do I configure jumpers on CD/Wr drive, at MA?

Regards

Waynf