Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Burner Installation-Windows XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
It will work if it fit but It is not worth to reuse the thing. You may run in to weird problem later and just don't know why. Get rid of it. cost you only about $5 for a new 80 IDE at flee maket if you live in states or canada. Configure the drive doesn't have any thing to do with cable unless you use CS option. One cable with two conector can only have one drive. If you want two drive on one cable you will need a cable that have three connectors.

Advertisements

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Before I g any farther please advise what is meant by Cable Select.

Waynf

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Cable select mean you don't set Drives Master or Slave. Both drives on one cable will set at CS and the machine will decide which is which depend on which drive to which conector.
Personaly I don't know why that option is there or what the benefit of that option is. but that is how it work. never use it and never meet any one like it.
If any body can explain the benefit of it, please let us know.

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
First of all, you should have followed Gerryf's initial response first. Although you are correct to be skeptical about modifying your registry, he knows what he's talking about. Those filters often cause conflicts, and have particular gain for you.

Don't go further then you need to. As mcp said, it isn't relevant to what you are trying to do. The benefits to CS mode are few and far between, and will have absolutely no benefit to you. Infact, it will end up causing you more grief.

Follow the original instructions. To get things working, start with Just the Cd-RW & Hard drive. Install each on it's own IDE cable (the big ones), disregard weather they are set to slave or master, this will not change anything for now.

Once this is done, replug your system and boot it up. It should be functional. If it is not, you may have had some settings in your Bios that were not on autodetect, but we will go down that road once we hit that problem.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Read instructions from BabyTech and would like to know if I still have to go into registry(my stress level just went up)

Waynf

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I have just made connections IDE slot #1 to Hard Drive
IDE slot#2 to CD/WR
Floppy slot empty
Have not powered up yet
Drives are connected at farthest ends of IDE
Have not adjusted jumpers as yet

Regards

Waynf

ps: can I power-up?

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
further, original configuration of IDE to Hard drive was it as in slave position and remains like that do I change it?

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
UPDATE: Fired up computer with two IDE's 1 to HD one to CD/WR result: "New Hardware Detected"
Tested play function of CD/WR played well.

Only thing left is installation of Floppy and adjustment of sound.

Thanks for now. Awaiting your instructions.

Waynf

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
wayn....just to add to what people have said...so that you don't have confusion with the floppy....floppy drives do not use IDE cables...they use a different cable that is still a flat ribbon cable (can't remember what it's called) it's thinner across than an IDE cable..and on one end...there is a twist in some of the wires that make up the ribbon....the twist end hooks to your floppy drive controller on the motherboard and the other end hooks to the floppy drive..

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
dsenette, does ANYBODY ever remember the name of that cable? hehe...No one ever remembers it, it's so [bleep] funny.

Advertisements

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
yehhh.
Not that bad hah?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff